Keyboard/Language input Issue (Win7 x64): Apostrophe key not working RRS feed

• Question

• The last couple of days, I've come across a really odd issue. After a bit of use, my apostrophe key doesn't work on single presses. If I hold it down, a string of apostrophes will come out no problem. The issue is resolved if I restart the machine but the issue will tend to come back again after some use anyway. I have come across similar problems with the apostrophe key and input languages so I changed my keyboard to the US standard (I am from the UK and use the UK layout normally) and hey presto, apostrophe works no problems. Single presses and holding it down, it works fine. Once I change it back to the UK layout again though, it only works when I hold it down. This indicates that it isn't a hardware issue but I am unsure of what is causing the problem. I'd consider a system restore but all my save points are within the last few days because of Windows Updates. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It isn't a huge issue, but enough to make things annoying. Thanks in advance.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I performed a test on my machine, but I did not encounter this issue.

I suggest to boot the computer with Safe Mode to see whether the issue persists.

If it does not, I suggest to update the keyboard driver for a test.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:37 AM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I performed a test on my machine, but I did not encounter this issue.

I suggest to boot the computer with Safe Mode to see whether the issue persists.

If it does not, I suggest to update the keyboard driver for a test.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:37 AM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:39 AM
  • I am having exactly the same problem right now. I use a US-international keyboard. Yesterday my apostrophe button was working just fine. All of a sudden (I don't know what could have caused it) It stops working when I hit it. I get a bunch of apostrophes when I hold the button down, but not when single or double pressing it. When I switch my keyboard language, the button does function normally so its also not a hardware problem. I already rebooted a couple of times but to no avail. Im also on win7 x64
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:12 AM