none
Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.ResourceAccessForbiddenException RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm using PowerQuery to extract data from a couple of files held in a work Sharepoint folder which are then joined together using PowerPivot. I, the creator of the file can refresh the report with no issues, but my colleague who tried to refresh the report for the first time received the following error:

Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.ResourceAccessForbiddenException

My first thought is that it's something to do with his credentials, but he has the same access to the Sharepoint folders that I do and signed in through his Organisational account. I have set Data Source settings to Organisational or Public across all reports.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 4:55 PM

Answers

• Based on our code, ResourceAccessForbiddenException is thrown by the M runtime when a permitted resource access (with or without credentials) results in an forbidden failure from the resource.

In other words, it sounds like the data source is recognizing the credentials, but disallowing access to the person who is signed in. EDIT: It's also possible this error might be returned if the target server is throttling your connection.

Could you try refreshing the data from his machine but entering your credentials? If that fails, it indicates there's some issue with running the queries from his machine. If it works, it indicates that he doesn't actually have the proper permissions he needs.

Ehren

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:20 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I faced something similar today, while trying to run a sentiment analysis on Power BI through Azure's Cognitive Services (As mentioned in this tutorial "Tutorial: Integrate Power BI with the Text Analytics Cognitive Service")

My data has 1000 Rows.

I got the following error when I tried to represent the numeric values of sentiment as positive, negative and neutral by adding another column. I tried removing the column and that didn't fix the issue.

"OLE DB or ODBC error: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.ResourceAccessForbiddenException' was thrown.."

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 2:03 PM
  • Based on our code, ResourceAccessForbiddenException is thrown by the M runtime when a permitted resource access (with or without credentials) results in an forbidden failure from the resource.

In other words, it sounds like the data source is recognizing the credentials, but disallowing access to the person who is signed in. EDIT: It's also possible this error might be returned if the target server is throttling your connection.

Could you try refreshing the data from his machine but entering your credentials? If that fails, it indicates there's some issue with running the queries from his machine. If it works, it indicates that he doesn't actually have the proper permissions he needs.

Ehren

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:20 PM
    Owner
  • So is it possible that I am getting this error because I am using two different accounts, one for Azure and another for Power BI?
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 10:14 AM
  • I got the same error. Please assist.
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:15 AM
  • I'm also experiencing the same issue, though here, all users use the same account on Azure and Power BI.

Sunday, May 26, 2019 8:04 PM
  • Hi Renato. I'd recommend using a tool like Fiddler to see which web request is failing, and if there's any info on the response that indicates why the failure is occurring.

Ehren

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:57 PM
    Owner
  • This happens on files that are shared on Sharepoint with Autosave ON. This is how I solve it everytime. Go to Powerquery File>Options and Settings>Data Source settings>Global Permissions. Delete the Global permissions and close the dialog boxes. Refresh the file again and it will ask for your credentials again and it will work.
    • Proposed as answer by Kalde Monday, September 16, 2019 7:27 PM
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:27 PM
  • Hi hkaush. Can you send me a private message on the Power BI Community?

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/33215

We'll likely need to you gather a Fiddler trace when this occurs, so we can see what's happening in our communication with SharePoint.

Ehren

Thursday, May 30, 2019 5:55 PM
    Owner
  • Did you find something? I have the same issue with an Excel file in SharePoint that use PowerQuery to extract data from SharePoint.
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:53 PM
  • In my case, I needed to validate my Office 365 organizational login on the computer I was using for the specified data source.
    Tuesday, July 30, 2019 2:05 AM
  • Thank you! This worked for me. Simple and fast solution!
    Friday, August 16, 2019 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

I have same problem. my work mate get this error when he tries to refresh query. It does not show login screen like it should.

i have to reset permissions from Query options and login screen will be displayed. When hi uses his own credentials he after permission reset everything goes like it should.

But next day it will splash the error screen again, and no login screen? Other team members do not have this problem?

br, Jari  

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:19 AM
  • Hi,

I have the same issue in Excel. Whenever a "different" person opens the file, there is the error message "Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.ResourceAccessForbiddenException'. The person who last saved the file doesn't have the issue.

All the files are in the same SharePoint library. The main file contains several queries referring to other Excel files in the same library. We have to be loggued in to open the main file. At the opening of the main file, the queries cannot be refreshed because of credentials.

Work-around : cancel the refresh, go to Get Data/ Data Source Settings / Global Permissions / Clear all permissions. Then click on Refresh All , and the authentication windows pops-up. There we select "Organizational account", then "Sign in" and Connect. No need to enter password.

This workaround is painful. How to avoid it? There is no problem if the main file is in SharePoint and the other files are on a local folder or a share.Thanks,

Sylvie

• Edited by Sylvie Biard Friday, August 30, 2019 1:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by move-on Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:55 AM
    Thursday, August 29, 2019 3:47 PM
  • the proposed work-around works very well with us, we use the Microsoft-user-account as login, indeed, but perhaps it has to do s-th with permissions and to "refresh" them by first delete the global permissions! "Work-around : cancel the refresh, go to Get Data/ Data Source Settings / Global Permissions / Clear all permissions. Then click on Refresh All , and the authentication windows pops-up. There we select "Organizational account", then "Sign in" and Connect."

• Edited by move-on Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Hi, It works very well for us too, but the users don't like to have to do it systematically. We are going to move the files from SharePoint to a share to avoid it. It's a pity.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:01 PM
  • Thanks A LOT!!!!
    Monday, September 16, 2019 7:27 PM
  • Hi There, 

This might be an obvious trouble shooting step, but I've been able to rectify this by navigating into the power query environment, selecting the query, and click on data source setting, and edit the permission. I find that for some reason, the query will default to anonymous authentication. (even though I've previously set it to 'organisational account') and i just have to reset it back, authenticate with the new user, and then the query will run again. 

Again, this might be obvious, but it wasn't to me at first! 

hope it helps 

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:59 AM