none
Project Online Preview with Outlook Sync RRS feed

• Question

• In Project Online Preview can i sync MyTask page with Outlook. I want to show how you can have on outlook Project and Sharepoint task all there.

It tell me the user have not mail account.

Maybe with the Project Online Preview i can't use the Exchange Service? Other way to receive mail on assignment or calendar sync?

Thanks

Dan

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 4:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks Daniele,

You are affected by a temporary issue with the European Exchange Online server, we are trying to fix it, but the solution is not yet totally defined.

If you want to try this feature urgently, you can try creating a tenant in the US (specify United States when asked for your location), and you will see the feature fully working.

Thanks for your testing

marc

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:43 AM

All replies

• Yes you can sync your tasks between Exchange online and SharePoint / Project online. The
    reason why you get a no mail account error is (I guess) because your user does
    not have an Exchange account on the same tenant.<o:p></o:p>

The S2S protocol used to connect SharePoint and Exchange does not go through the
    boundaries of your tenant (i.e. it does not go to your on Prem Exchange or your
    Exchange O365 hosted on a different tenant).<o:p></o:p>

To resolve your issue please go to the page where you sign up for a public preview of
    O365, select that you want to preview E3 (this includes Exchange). The on a
    your admin credentials from your Project Online tenant.<o:p></o:p>

Now you have a tenant with both Project and Exchange. Go to the user details page on
    the O365 tenant and make sure to assign an Exchange license to your user. You
    are now setup to Sync your task

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Hi Marcboy,

thankyou very much, i've done what you tell me to do.

Now i have Project and Exchange services on the same tenant.

When i try to sync with outlook from "Newsfeed" i receive this errore:

We weren't able to start syncing your tasks because your SharePoint server configuration isn't supported. Please contact your administrator to resolve this issue.

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
    Correlation ID: 8f13c89b-8674-40fc-5103-ff682188e3a6
    Date and Time: 8/28/2012 2:03:49 PM

Maybe i forgot something?

Thanks for the help...

Best regards

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Thanks Dan,

Could you give us your tenant name ?

Also, could you please retry the next day ? I have seen things being setup slowly these days, maybe this is just a matter of time. Please let us know

Thanks

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Of course marcboy.

I try again today but i found this different error:

We weren't able to start syncing your tasks due to an issue connecting to your Exchange server. Please contact your administrator.

TECHNICAL DETAILS
    Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
    Correlation ID: 3458c89b-f62a-40fc-4b46-2bc22c9caf13
    Date and Time: 8/29/2012 10:03:38 AM

My user id is: dpalmitesta@altimeter.onmicrosoft.com

I'll wait some days....

Thank for your help and for your work...

I'm really exciting of Project Online because i'm a consultant in Project Server and i see a very growing market wih yours innovations.

Best regards

Daniele

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Thanks Daniele,

You are affected by a temporary issue with the European Exchange Online server, we are trying to fix it, but the solution is not yet totally defined.

If you want to try this feature urgently, you can try creating a tenant in the US (specify United States when asked for your location), and you will see the feature fully working.

Thanks for your testing

marc

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:43 AM
  • Ok marcboy,

thanks for your advices. After a few days of services provisioning, finally, i saw tasks between a project, a site task list and my personal task list, all syncronized in my Outlook Client. Very amazing feature. xD

Just a question: may i see o force the syncronization service? i search but i can't find the service management.

Please if you can, let me know when it will be fixed the issue with the European Exchange server.

Good work

Daniele

Sunday, September 9, 2012 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

No ETA to fix the European service yet.

Great that you like the Exchange sync. There is no way to force the sync, when a suer is opted in, it happens automaticlaly every 10-20 minutes (depending on the load).

In real life scenarios (not you i front of your screen counting the minutes), is this an acceptable delay ?

thanks

Marc

Monday, September 10, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

So, I got news that the European farm was patched, but I can't test it myself as I don't have a tenant currently affected by this bug. I am working in parallel to confirm this, but if someone who was affected can report success, that would be great help for the community.

Monday, September 17, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hi marcboy,

i had a test syncing the My Task page with Outlook but there is the same error:

Look for the date in the image. This is the error.

Good work

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:58 AM