My (Vista) entire desktop freezes . RRS feed

• Question

• Shortly after booting up my HP Pavilion with Vista the desktop freezes up and requires a shut down.  Boot up again and the same thing happens.  It is a vicious circle and I have been searching for a solution to fix this problem to no avail.  This all began after AT&T setup a wireless connection.

Any help is welcomed!!
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:00 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can try a Clean Boot first:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, May 22, 2009 5:27 AM

All replies

• Hi

Did at&t install a pci card or usb dongle, have you tryed starting in safe mode and uninstalling the driver and/or software for that device to rule it out.

You could try typing msconfig in run then untick all that is in startup, then if all is well on the next reboot retick one then reboot and retick another and so on.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Yes, you can try a Clean Boot first:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, May 22, 2009 5:27 AM
  • Well I have the same problem, and I've done the steps above, but I don't know what to do afterwords.
    my start menu (Well entire bottom bar) also freezes along with my desktop :/ And  unless I use it within the first 30 seconds of my computer booting I can't really do much.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:47 AM