Updates keep switching from duplicate to extend display RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a little tired of this. I keep a lot of desktop shortcuts and I keep them arranged in a specific order. Only, every time Microsoft sends me automatic updates it switches me fro "duplicate" displays to "extend" displays. Which leads to all my shortcuts being stacked up on one side, and 45 minutes of putting everything back where it belongs.

Thanks to the Blue Ray player, I can't just unplug the DVI cable, and I primarily use VGA so that I don't have to switch everything around when I want to use one of my other computers that don't have DVI options.  And, YES, I logged in as "Administrator" and changed things there.

So, either stop changing my settings every time you force me to update, or fix the stupid software that can no longer output Blue Ray video through the VGA signal.  Don't even "try" to lie to me and say it's impossible, there was no problem doing it back when my card didn't have a DVI output.

As it stands, you force me to get a DVI capable because, now that my video card has a DVI output, it is suddenly impossible to output Blue-Ray video over VGA.  Then, even though both cables go to the same monitor, Windows  7 "insists" that the 1366x768 DVI monitor is actually a different resolution than the 1366x768 VGA monitor.  Then when I force it to duplicate the display (so I don't have to switch my monitor back and forth just to operate normally,) it decides that I must be mistaken every time it updates.

f

Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:33 PM

Answers

• Its during all the updates ? 

Are the drivers updated for your display ?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:20 AM
    Friday, November 14, 2014 12:05 AM
  • Tried updating drivers ?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by JoeBunt Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:35 AM
    Friday, November 14, 2014 10:38 AM

All replies

• Its during all the updates ? 

Are the drivers updated for your display ?

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:20 AM
    Friday, November 14, 2014 12:05 AM
  • So far it's happened after every update that requires a restart.  If I restart my computer without an update, it doesn't happen.  If I have an update that doesn't need to restart my computer, then I later restart my computer manually, it doesn't happen.

The drivers for my display haven't been updated since I installed them.  Just went through the update history to make sure.  Checked all that were installed on 11/11/2014 (the last time this happened,) and scanned through all the rest - though I don't remember which specific ones required a restart or not.  Didn't see anything ATI (well AMD now,) in the list.  Didn't see anything HP (for the LCD monitor,) either.  Those usually appear under "optional" updates which don't install automatically anyways.

f

Friday, November 14, 2014 12:53 AM
  • Tried updating drivers ?

• Marked as answer by JoeBunt Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:35 AM
    Friday, November 14, 2014 10:38 AM
  • I have the latest drivers installed. But I've now removed and re-installed them. Haven't had a qualifying update yet, though. I'm not sure I trust this to have fixed the problem.

f

Monday, November 17, 2014 2:00 PM
  • Is this fixed now ?

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:01 AM
  • I don't know yet.  It only happens on updates that require a restart.  There hasn't been one of those since I've removed and re-installed my display drivers.

f

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:22 PM
  • Any updates?

Sunday, November 23, 2014 7:31 AM
  • I'm Trying to get an update now, but my internet is giving me problems.  I've reloaded this page 6 times, and this is my second attempt to post a reply.  It might be a few days :(

f

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:57 AM
  • Got my internet fixed (had to get the cable-modem replaced,) and downloaded the 200MB update that required a re-boot. The problem did not occur this time, so I'm hopeful that removing and re-installing the Catalyst drivers has fixed the issue. I'll be back here though, if it happens again, I'm afraid. I'm fairly (around 95%,) sure that I have never had an update/re-boot that did not cause the display mode to reset, though, so maybe it is fixed now.

f

Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:34 AM