Do I need to pay 100$ for every user in my domain? RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition and it now runs Active Directory domain which has around 30 users.

All is working well but recently someone told me that I should pay 100$ for a CAL for every user in the Active Directory.

Is it true? Do I need to pay additonal money for every user I have in Active Directory?

Thanks.

http://peteroy.blogspot.com/

Saturday, September 1, 2012 9:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

MS technologies have varying licensing models, but typically, yes, each "authenticated connection" requires to be licensed.
    This could be either "device" CALs or "user" CALs (you can also have a blend of both.

MS have different ways of doing this, eg small environments it is more economical to buy SBS which comes as a bundle (server and CALs), for medium environments possibly server lics + CALS, for larger or where multiple products are used, a "suite" or similar is most economical.

Your MS reseller or MS VL team can advise on different options for your particular scenario.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing-faq.aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:33 AM
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 10:40 PM
  • No, not unless you bought a bundle of some kind.

There are some bundles available (such as Windows Server STD with 5 CALs, etc).
    Or you can buy just the Server license (if you already have enough CALs but just need an additional server)
    Or you can buy just CALs (if you don't need more servers but have had devices or users increase)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

MS technologies have varying licensing models, but typically, yes, each "authenticated connection" requires to be licensed.
    This could be either "device" CALs or "user" CALs (you can also have a blend of both.

MS have different ways of doing this, eg small environments it is more economical to buy SBS which comes as a bundle (server and CALs), for medium environments possibly server lics + CALS, for larger or where multiple products are used, a "suite" or similar is most economical.

Your MS reseller or MS VL team can advise on different options for your particular scenario.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing-faq.aspx

Don

Saturday, September 1, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Doesn't Windows Server 2008 Standard comes already with a certain amount of CAL that can be used?

http://peteroy.blogspot.com/

Sunday, September 2, 2012 11:06 AM
  • No, not unless you bought a bundle of some kind.

There are some bundles available (such as Windows Server STD with 5 CALs, etc).
    Or you can buy just the Server license (if you already have enough CALs but just need an additional server)
    Or you can buy just CALs (if you don't need more servers but have had devices or users increase)

Don

Sunday, September 2, 2012 12:12 PM