Refresh in Power BI service consumes more resources than in Power BI desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Power BI file that queries a table in an Azure storage account (amongst other sources) to download its contents. The table is around 25 MB large. When I refresh the dataset in Power Bi desktop, I can see in the Azure storage account monitor 25 MB of egress data, which makes perfect sense. However, when I publish that same file to Power BI service and do a refresh there, I see around 150 MB of egress data on the monitor.

What could be the reason for this? In case it is relevant, the privacy setting for that file is set to combine the levels from the different sources and they are all configured to be public.

Thanks in advance!
    • Edited by Myra Hal Tuesday, August 25, 2020 11:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 25, 2020 11:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have data privacy disabled locally in PBIDesktop? If so, try enabling it and see if you see the same egress after doing so. (Data privacy is always enabled in the PBI service.)

The reason this could cause the difference you're seeing is that the data privacy firewall evaluates each "partition" of your queries independently, in order to determine what data sources they access. Thus certain data sources can end up being accessed multiple times.

Ehren

Tuesday, August 25, 2020 7:02 PM
  • Hi Ehren,

Thanks for the response. Data privacy is not disabled locally. I'm using the same settings in both desktop and service (combine - everything public). I know that I can indeed avoid a few data accesses for the firewall checks by completely disabling data privacy but I don't do this specifically to have the same settings in both environments. Apparently though there still seems to be something else happening in service that isn't happening locally.

Tuesday, August 25, 2020 8:08 PM
  • Hm. Are all the data sources set to Public in the PBI service as well? (By default, they'll be set to Private.) You might want to also try posting this in the Power BI Community. There may be some extra M evaluations happening in the service that don't happen in PBIDesktop.

Ehren

Tuesday, August 25, 2020 8:25 PM
  • Thanks again Ehren. As far as I could see the sources were set as Public in service also when I published the file, probably because that's how they were configured in desktop. However just to be sure, I tried switching them to private and back to public in service and did my test again. The results didn't change. It still downloads ~150 MB of data.

Wednesday, August 26, 2020 7:02 AM
  • Ok. I'd recommend you post this over on the Power BI Community site.

Ehren

Wednesday, August 26, 2020 4:47 PM