none
Messages Rejected by some Spam Filters RRS feed

• Question

• We have Exchange 2013 in production. Recently some users complaining about their email delivery. Some of the external domains just rejected our email and by this we didn't get any bounce back messages. Other way is to call their IT and ask them to white list our domain, this works. But I need permanent solution. I went MX toolbox and did SMTP test and it returned "Reverse DNS is not valid Hostname". I searched about this and found to call ISP to make PTR record for Public IP. I called and they already have.

Domain: example.com

Public IP: 1.1.1.1 (I called ISP and they told PTR record already exist)

Can somebody help and suggest what can be done or what kind of specific records I have to make ?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Param, 

We suggest you should have a correct reverse DNS resolve for your domain in ISP to point to Exchange 2013 server, and make sure publish Exchange 2013 to Internet instead of Exchange 2010.

We still suggest you create SPF domain for your domain.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 20, 2016 2:57 AM

All replies

• Do you have a valid SPF record?  Is your domain or IP address blacklisted?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:22 PM
  • Hi Param, 

Welcome to our forum.

As Ed said, the recipient domain will perform a check of the Sender Policy Framework (SPF) record for the sender’s domain when a sending server is attempting to send an email message. It could be checked by A/V software, so we suggest you add SFP record in ISP for your domain: 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/eopfieldnotes/2015/02/06/ensure-your-spf-record-is-correct/ 

Notice: this link also apply to on-premise Exchange 2013.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:50 AM
  • No we are not blacklisted. We never had SPF record. This problem arises when we migrate the exchange server 2010 to 2013. MX toolbox gives the SMTP result as "Reverse DNS is not a valid hostname".
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Hi Param, 

We suggest you should have a correct reverse DNS resolve for your domain in ISP to point to Exchange 2013 server, and make sure publish Exchange 2013 to Internet instead of Exchange 2010.

We still suggest you create SPF domain for your domain.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Friday, May 20, 2016 2:57 AM
  • They do a lot more than just check SPF.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Friday, May 20, 2016 3:09 AM