none
IMS connect vs CICS listner RRS feed

• Question

• Respected Community Members,

I heard that IMS connect is kind of listner sits on IMS side which allow our VB.NET code to directly connect/execute IMS data/programs by using some Socket classes. It doesn't require any HIS environment to go through.

I was wondering does the same scenario is possible for CICS data/programs by using .NET Socket classes without going through the HIS environment??

Does CICS listner is capable enough to do that communication??

Both CICS and IMS products are from IBM and even though they are separate products ..but conenctivity wise IBM must have provided easy way to work out CICS environment......

Please advice.

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:51 PM

Answers

• Nick,

IMS and CICS both support the use of TCP to invoke programs in the respective environments.  If you wish to access those environments using the .NET Socket classes you may do so without the use of HIS. Generqally, it would be far easier to use HIS Transaction Integrator to invoke those programs because it handles all of the communication and data conversion that you would need to do in your application if you connect directly.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Nicksoft2011 Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:31 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 2:08 PM

All replies

• Nick,

IMS and CICS both support the use of TCP to invoke programs in the respective environments.  If you wish to access those environments using the .NET Socket classes you may do so without the use of HIS. Generqally, it would be far easier to use HIS Transaction Integrator to invoke those programs because it handles all of the communication and data conversion that you would need to do in your application if you connect directly.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Nicksoft2011 Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:31 PM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Thanks a lot. Even i heard same thing from one of my colleage.

Do we know whether any Corparate uses those Socket classes to replicate the HIS functionality??

I mean are there any examples available how complex/big effort that would be??

Thanks,

Nick

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 7:33 PM