none
Ideas?!?! Syncing Browser Settings across multiple machines (Without Group Policy). RRS feed

• Question

• I work technical support and I am currently running out of ideas on how to handle this situation. Browser settings are a PAINFUL bane that does not need to exist as heavily as it does. We have many machines that are company owned that we support and thanks to use of group policy browser problems on these are nearly non-existent. 

However, we have workers whom we support externally that work on personal machines (and this makes up the largest of our workload as there are many more personally owned machines than company owned). The personally owned machines are not domain joined machines, so group policy is not an option. 

I have been going back and fourth over the thought of making a registry file copy of a machine that I can build to be the "key master" (or so we will call it) for the current user browser settings. I will be having to make one of each of our supported OS's (Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10) to ensure maximum compatibility across the board. We have implemented similar in the past as well...

Here is the problem I think that we will encounter. One, we will have to make a check base to ensure that none of these settings will prevent things like Windows Updates (for example). Two, we will need a way to update this without having to rely on going back into all of those machines each time a fix is applied. Three, we will need to make sure that current user profile is over-riding local machine settings particularly for the browser. 

I am wondering if anyone knows of any alternatives, manageable applications that could deploy these settings, or have any experiences - thoughts - insight. At this point anything is appreciated as this is still in the planning phase, but I would like to have this rolled out as soon as possible. Please let me know if you have any ideas, or questions about how the implementation needs to be done if I have not been specific enough. Thanks!

Sunday, September 25, 2016 12:28 PM