Recommended topology design RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Standard Edition Skype for Business 2015 at our HQ under Central Site A. I have two other Standard Edition Skype servers, in our branch locations, in B and C. All of them are created under Central Site A. I have just one Edge server in site A.

Locations B and C, are enabled for Enterprise Voice, and each have an SBC to the PSTN.

I'm not facing any problems, but I'd like to know if this design enough? What is the recommended topology? Is it better to have the branch offices under different central sites, or branch sites? What are the benefits?

Appreciate any suggestions/recommendations. Thank you.

Mathew

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 7:15 AM

Answers

• As such nothing is wrong with it, Check for the VPN connectivity if there is network outage/delay or try to run some kind of ping to cross check for couple of days and see if packet drops or not between 2 sites.

Regards

S

• Marked as answer by MathewKEO Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:32 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:14 PM

All replies

• Howz is your branch skype installed?? is it installed under branch site in central site?? 

if thats the case

your topology is good enough

Central site is the place where your branch site user will fall in during remote site failure,,,

so your design is okay

Regards

S

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:34 AM
  • Thanks S,

Its not under branch site. I've copied below an edited snip from my topology builder.

Mathew

• Edited by MathewKEO Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:35 AM picute not attached
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:30 AM
  • i cant see that.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:33 AM

• Mathew

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:39 AM
  • i can see now,,

Would like to know if your Site B infra(skype.b.ad) and Site C infra (skype.b.ad) is kept with Site A or locally???

i assume in your design bcoz of only 3 servers.. resliency wont be there for atleast 1 server...

Regards

S

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:50 AM
  • Hi,

I did not understand the question, what do you mean by infra? also, its not designed for resiliency.

Mathew

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:01 PM
  • i mean do you have your all servers kept at site A,,,,and from wan connection Site B and Site C is connected to PBX locally.....or Site B hardware (your Lync server) is kept at Site B and likewise for Site C.

the scenario you have generally in this case....

if your users who are connected on Site B and if site B goes down nothing will work.....

Regards

S

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:04 PM
  • Or i Shall ask you, what is your requirement, bcoz there could be many ways we can design the topology

what is your priorty, which feature and function you want the most.

Regards

S

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:05 PM
  • The servers are at the respective locations, and are interconnected by VPN over the internet. Average ping between sites is 45 ms.

The last pool, site C, was deployed last month, for enterprise voice at the site. Everything seems fine, but sometimes, IM's from users at this site are failing to Site B, and with Skype Online users. No issues with Site A.

So, i was just concerned if there was anything wrong with the basic design. 

Mathew

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:10 PM
  • As such nothing is wrong with it, Check for the VPN connectivity if there is network outage/delay or try to run some kind of ping to cross check for couple of days and see if packet drops or not between 2 sites.

Regards

S

• Marked as answer by MathewKEO Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:32 PM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 12:14 PM