none
Problem applying ODBC User DSN via Group Policy

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to create a User ODBC DSN entry in my users computers via Group Policy.  It is failing though with the following two errors:

The client-side extension caught the unhandled exception 'config expand for handling properties' inside: 'Access violation (0xc0000005) occurred at 0x70048ece; the memory at 0x00001d28 could not be written.' See trace file for more details.
        The user 'authtest' preference item in the 'Users - Authority ODBC {48C3EDF2-C910-4414-A625-A0F50B001953}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x86012004 The client-side extension caught the unhandled exception 'config expand for handling properties' inside: 'Access violation (0xc0000005) occurred at 0x70048ece; the memory at 0x00001d28 could not be written.'%100790275' This error was suppressed.

I am using item level targeting to a group where I have the users I wish to receive the settings.

Clients are using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit
    Domain Controllers are Windows Server 2012

I found a Microsoft hotfix which apparently fixes something very similar (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976399) but this is for Computer settings not User.  I tried installing the fix anyway but it refused to install.

Anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

thanks  jc

• Edited by jcrower Thursday, August 6, 2015 7:33 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are there any related event error messages logged in Event Viewer?

Does the group policy setting work with other domain users?

You may collect GPMC log to further troubleshoot the issue.

To collect the GPSVC.log, we need to modify the following registry:

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Entry: GpSvcDebugLevel

Type: REG_DWORD

Vaule data: 0x30002

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 7, 2015 12:13 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Amy.

The two error messages I mentioned above are the only two I could find in the event viewer: ID's 8196 and 4098.

This is occurring for all domain users I have tested it on.

I have looked through gpsvc.log after altering the registry as advised and I can see where the client finds the GPO:

GPSVC(4c4.f38) 09:04:36:154 ProcessGPO:  User has access to this GPO.
    GPSVC(4c4.f38) 09:04:36:154 ProcessGPO:  GPO passes the filter check.

But that is the last reference to it.  I can see no error messages where it has failed to apply the change.

thanks

Thursday, August 13, 2015 12:17 AM
  • Hi

At this point, since it is very difficult to troubleshoot this issue without specific error message, I recommend you to contact Microsoft Customer Support and Services where more in depth investigation can be done so that you would get an official statement regarding the scenario.

You may find phone number for your region accordingly from the link below:

Global Customer Service phone numbers

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers/en-au

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 1:55 PM