none
Facility/Building square meters as a resource!? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello together,

I want to manage a big facility devided by square meters into my schedule to have an overview, which task/project use how many square meters from this building at which time.

I hope you all understand my request and may someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Tobias

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:33 AM

Answers

• Hallo Toby,

I have to disagree completely to the other posters.

First, most posters suppose you are running Project Server whereas your question does not indicate that. So I'll answer for a solution in Pro or Standard only.

Second, and this is the most important, there is no reason whatsoever to use a material resource, to the contrary. A material resource is CONSUMED by the tsk, a work resoruce is USED by the task. So your m² are a WORK resource.

Using that you will have no problems with dividing a total amount of work by duration. Works fine and smoothly

And ultimately, if you want to go as far as that, using Resource leveling you can even schedule the tasks for not over-using the facility

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by der_toby Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:33 AM

All replies

• One of the way is define the faclity as a material resource in Project Server.

Once you define then what remains is the PMs use this resource in plans and allocate the % based on their usage out of total capacity.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:35 AM
  • One of the way is define the faclity as a material resource in Project Server.

Once you define then what remains is the PMs use this resource in plans and allocate the % based on their usage out of total capacity.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Hello Abhijeet,

the problem is that after I assigned the material resource to a task a can only say the amount. Then I tried it with a 1month task and assigned the resource with 20 m². But: after that, MS-Project decided to devide the 20m² by days, so that I have only 1m² each day!?

Regards,

Tobias

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hi Tobias,

Please provide more details on how you are assigning resources and what is your expected outcome as well as the way you got in project.

Sapna S

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:03 AM
  • Hi Tobias,

What I was trying to suggest is:

1. Example: You have a facility of 50m²

2. One of the task in one of you project is going to use 25m² of facility area for the period of that task

3. Assign this resource to the task and set the resource units to 50% (as  25m² is 50% of total capacity i.e.  50m²) in the Task Information window

4. This way half the facility will be blocked for the task period for that project and other PMs can see the utilization and free capacity in Resource Center

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Hallo Toby,

I have to disagree completely to the other posters.

First, most posters suppose you are running Project Server whereas your question does not indicate that. So I'll answer for a solution in Pro or Standard only.

Second, and this is the most important, there is no reason whatsoever to use a material resource, to the contrary. A material resource is CONSUMED by the tsk, a work resoruce is USED by the task. So your m² are a WORK resource.

Using that you will have no problems with dividing a total amount of work by duration. Works fine and smoothly

And ultimately, if you want to go as far as that, using Resource leveling you can even schedule the tasks for not over-using the facility

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by der_toby Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Hello Jan,

thx for the answer, that is what I searched for.

Best regards,

Tobias

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:32 PM
  • You're welcome Toby!
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:19 AM