none
Project Pro 2010 SP1 CU08/12 - Undo deletes all changes since last save, Redo not possible - 2 hours work lost RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've just updated my schedule spending more than 2 hours work. Now I clicked Undo because I wanted only the last step to be undone. Project however deleted all my changes since I opened the plan initially. I cannot redo the step.

All my work is lost!

What to do? Did anyone else experience this, also? It happend for me the second time.

Thanks,

Peter

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:58 PM

All replies

• Peter,

Sorry, without knowing more of your backup regime, I cannot really help.

A best practice is to frequently save into some sort of Version Control system as you go. We use SharePoint. There are other tools/methods available. I personally will check back in versions every half hour or so so that at most I can go back to a previous version and minimise any loss of work due to some sort of failure (caused by something between chair and keyboard or other). 

I have no expectation that Undo is as resilient as  you seem to expect.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Peter,

I'm with Rob, we need more information in order to help you. I see you have SP1 installed but pardon my limited knowledge but what is "CU08/12"?

Also, are you working in a Project Server environment? Are you working over a network (WAN or LAN)? Do you have a linked structure (e.g. resource pool or master/subproject)?

John

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Peter, I'd be interested in the answers to Rob and John's questions. And to add one of my own - under Project Options - Save, what is the Auto-Save frequency? When saving, the Undo stack gets cleared. Do you have an Auto-Saved version of the file?

Graham

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

Auto Save is not activated, however the issue wasn't that Undo was not working. It worked but it undid more 100 changes that I did prevously. I should have undone only the last!

Peter

P.S. CU is a Cumulative Update. Guys, are you using MS Project 2010? You cannot use it without bimonthly patching it. Yes, Pro is connected against a Project Server, but his should not have any effect. Also no VBA code is active.
    Wednesday, December 26, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Peter,

Yes, I am talking about Project 2010 and I'm sure the other guys are also. I disagree that bimonthly cumulative updates are a requirement. Even SP1 is not a requirement but it is highly recommended that it be installed. Cumulative updates are a culmination of hotfixes. Hotfixes are not fully "rung out" like service packs. If a user is experiencing the specific problem addressed by the hotfix(s) then that hotfix(s) should be installed.

I rarely use the undo but when I have I've never experienced multiple undos in a single click. I do have SP1, I only have one hotfix installed and that relates to a VBA issue.  I do not use Project Server. Whether being in a server environment has anything to do with the issue I do not know but I wouldn't count it out. You also didn't answer the question about working over a network. Network glitches can cause file corruption. Using a linked structure can also cause corruption. One easy thing to try is to save your file as XML and then re-open in Project. Sometimes, but not always, that will clear corruption.

Note: I see all three of our responses show as being reported as abusive. I have no idea why but there is nothing in any of our responses that could be validly construed as abusive.

John

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Under Options, how many levels of undo have you set? I have 20 and can't remember if that's the default or not. If you have 20 or less and 100 actions got undone, then it looks like Project crashed and re-opened the last saved version as the first 80 actions would not have been saved (saved actions use up a lot of memory, hence the low default number).

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Hi Rod,

I have 20 undo levels (default).

John, was you said about hotfix package was true until Project 2003, since 2007 we have seen immature software releases that were error prone. Until SP1+TR is 2007 was almost impossible to use, with 2010 is got better in some areas. One example for a hotfix on undo: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2584056/en-us This is a feature that is supposed to add stability (!)

The project is saved on Project Server. I do not have the option to save it als xml and replace, because this would mean that I loose all formatting, etc.

Thanks,

Peter

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Peter,

I agree about the lack of robust releases but unfortunately that seems to be the nature of the beast, and not just with Project but with nearly any application. I also agree that Project 2003 seemed to be more robust with Project 2007 "taking a dive" with respect to reliability and Project 2010 has followed suit.

Yes I realize you will lose formatting with a conversion through XML but it may be a necessary price to pay if indeed your file is corrupt. You could try it and see if it helps.

John

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

please understand that I have a production environment where I cannot just "try" things that would generate a lot of collateral damage. I rather need a diagnostic approach in order to file a support case with Microsoft. Also I would appreciate if someone could share if he/she had the same experience and may also know some steps to repro.

Thanks,

Peter

Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:41 PM
  • Peter,

At the risk of being accused again of abusing you, given this new information you and your project might be better served by changing your work flow/process to ensure protection on change. Even if you can reproduce it and get Microsoft's attention, and *if* they agree it's a bug/flaw, it will be surely be a long time until they issue patch and even a longer time until you can install the patch into your production environment.  

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Thursday, December 27, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Rob,

of corse I changed my workflow and I do not use Undo of MS Project anymore, because it's a very high risk of not just undoign the last change, but loose tons of changes before.

However I would appreciated if someone could contribute, if he/she has similar experiences and has an idea why this happened. I'm currently using CU 10/12. Are in 12/12 enhancements?

Thanks,

Peter

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:00 PM