none
stuck in safe mode with BitLocker encryption message RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I know this forum is for troubleshooting, not support, but so far no one has had a clue how to help.

I talked with Windows 10 phone support about my question and the response was to re-install Windows. I accept that re-installing is probably necessary, but I really would like to know how & why my PC has become a doorstop and how to keep it from happening again. I also raised this question on one of the community boards and was directed to technet instead.

I have a Dell touchscreen Laptop that was a black Friday purchase (so pretty new) with Windows 10 Home, a 2TB drive, 8GB memory, and nothing else very remarkable on it.  I have spent a couple of months in my spare time getting familiar with W10 since all my prior Windows experience is on XP and W7. I did create both a recovery stick and a Windows re-install stick right away. 

The replies I have received so far seem to indicate that the question was at least partially mis-interpreted. I keep getting told that I can’t use BitLocker on Win10 Home or that I should see if BitLocker was on the last version of the OS on this PC. For the record, yes, I know BitLocker is not for Win10 Home. But then, I never installed it nor did I try to enable any encryption that I am aware of. And no prior version of Windows was ever on this machine.

The problem. For reasons I can’t quite explain, I decided to boot into safe mode. basically, the method for doing has changed from XP and I wanted to try it. I forgot to tell it I wanted networking, so my bad on that.

On the reboot into safe mode, Windows decided I needed some updates. They failed. Then it said it would back out the changes. I have no idea what the updates were nor do I know if they were successfully backed out. The boot into safe mode completed, but since the updates had failed, the first thing I wanted to do was get out of safe mode. As soon as I unclicked safe mode and tried to apply the change, a message popped up telling me the new configuration couldn’t be saved because BitLocker Encryption was enabled on my OS drive.

Screenshots of BitLocker messages are available, but I can't submit them until my account is verified. 

Since the next question will about the versionb/build of Windows, it is Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, Build 16299.192.

I lost track of the reference, but I recall reading that BitLocker is on the Microsoft Servers that are used when I login to my PC using my Microsoft ID. Could that be the source of the problem? Does the Microsoft ID lock me into the MS servers somehow? Without a network to access the MS servers am I toast? After re-installing can I ditch the MS ID and use only a local login? Also, can I turn off auto updates? Could the failing updates be responsibile? Since nothing said what was being updated or what failed, how do I know that it won’t happen again as soon as I get W10 re-installed? 

Any help definitely appreciated. I really don’t want to let this PC sit around being a doorstop for too much longer.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 4:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you have home, then what you see is "Bitlocker light", called "device encryption". DE is using a recovery key, too, and you might need it, so look at your one drive recovery folder: http://onedrive.live.com/RecoveryKey
    • Marked as answer by stevearden Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:07 PM
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:30 PM
  • Find a flash drive or external hard drive that you can use to save files.

On a working computer copy this administrative command prompt command to the flash drive or external hard drive.

Move the flash drive or external hard drive to the problematic computer.

Then run the administrative command command to collect files to the desktop > save the files to the flash or external hard drive > move the drive to the working computer > using 7zip post the files into the thread

To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:08 AM
  • Thanks to Ronald. I never heard of BitLocker Light nor onedrive.live.com. I would have thought Microsoft phone support might have known/mentioned some of this. But no.

Anyway, thanks again.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:38 PM