Unable to access shared resources on windows server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using two servers windows server 2003 and windows server 2008, I have shared folder on my windows server 2003 and I am trying to access the shared resources from windows server 2008, while I access this way \\servername or \\IP address, it prompts me to enter the username and password then i enter the correct user name and password but it said bad username or bad password. what is the solutions??
    • Edited by sanjibk Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:09 AM

Answers

• Hi sanjibk,

Thanks for posting here.

Could we test by resetting administrator account with same password on both server hosts ? after that  please logon with administrator credential on Windows Server 2008 and access to that remote folder again.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi samjibk,

Thanks for posting here.

Is this an active directory environment ? if this is not but a workgroup, please first make sure the user account where we created on destination host (Windows server 2003 in this case) had been granted proper both SMB and NTFS permissions on the shared folder and ensure the password is correct .

Managing Permissions for Shared Folders

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753731.aspx

Meanwhile, some solutions regarding on how to solve such issues could be found form the link below:

Solution Center for Access Denied Error Messages

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/access-denied

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:18 AM
  • there is no active directory environment, both machines are in workgroup, other user on the network can access the same resources using the user created on destination, but one of windows server 2008 user cann't access, becasue of that error message. i have tried using administrator account to login on that file server but i couldn't able to access it repeats the same  error message.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:29 AM
  • Hi sanjibk,

Thanks for posting here.

Could we test by resetting administrator account with same password on both server hosts ? after that  please logon with administrator credential on Windows Server 2008 and access to that remote folder again.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:58 AM
  • this problem itselft solved another day cold boot.

Sanjib Kuikel MCSE

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:00 AM