Question on SPF (Sender Policy Framework) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have question on SPF (Sender Policy Framework), what know about SPF is that it is used to avoid email spoofing. On email recipient side the Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) determines if the outbound Mail Server IP address matches IP addresses that are authorized to send mail for the user. MTA queries the email sending DNS server for SPF and validate the mail send by server address is belongs to list or not.

My question is, if I am having domain abc.com for which i have not define SPF record on by DNS servers, will my email is delivered to other recipients where Sender ID verification is enable on recipient email servers.

Monday, January 14, 2013 5:57 AM

Answers

• If the SPF record for the sending server doest exist, the receiving server should not drop the messages based solely on that. That doesnt mean some aggressive admin or misconfigured anti-spam product wont drop the message, but it shouldnt as a rule ( YMMV may vary  :) )

Monday, January 14, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

Sender without SPF record doesn't mean all emails from that domain are spam, and get a valid SPF record back that matches the "from" domain, doesn't mean it's definitely not spam.

So without SPF record you will have risk to being marked as spam, but not means all emails from domain (without SPF record) will be treated as spam.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Evan Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:36 AM

All replies

• If the SPF record for the sending server doest exist, the receiving server should not drop the messages based solely on that. That doesnt mean some aggressive admin or misconfigured anti-spam product wont drop the message, but it shouldnt as a rule ( YMMV may vary  :) )

Monday, January 14, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

Sender without SPF record doesn't mean all emails from that domain are spam, and get a valid SPF record back that matches the "from" domain, doesn't mean it's definitely not spam.

So without SPF record you will have risk to being marked as spam, but not means all emails from domain (without SPF record) will be treated as spam.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Evan Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Hello,

How about the issue, any updates?

Thanks,

Evan Liu