HELP!! BSOD Vista 32 bit session manager core session failure status of 0xc000003a RRS feed

• Question

• About a week ago I was playing my newly purchased Starcraft 2 game.  All was going fine and I was getting ready to go to bed.  I turned the game off, left the computer on my desktop, and headed upstairs to bed.  The next day when I returned home from work my computer was completely turned off.  I thought it was a bit odd considering if anything it should only be in an idle stage, but proceeded in turning my computer on.

To my horror I had BSOD and it said:

STOP: C000021a {Fatal System Error}

The Session Manager Core session failure system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000)

The system has been shut down.

So I turn my laptop off and boot it up again.  It goes to a system scan, which it finds nothing and prompts me to shut my comp down.  I can't start up in safe mode which is pretty rediculous.  If I cancel the scan I can then go to an advance system blah blah blah where I can log in as the administrator, and it takes me to a list of things I can do.  There is the command prompt which I have tried chkdsk /r and it says write protected.  I've tried sfc /scannow which it says could not start repair service.

I tried the system restore option and it goes through the processes, but at the end of the system restore (no matter which restore point I pick) I can't run another system restore and it gives me this message:

System Restore: System Restore failed due to an unspecified error.  The request could not be performed because of an I/o device error. (0x8007045D)

I've tried everything that I know to do besides wiping my system clean and starting from scratch.  I'm almost certain that this is because of an improperly installed update from windows because when it gives me an option of the restore point I want to use there is an update from the night I left my comp running... thanks auto update btw.  This post is like a last ditch effort.  I haven't seen anyone with this problem.

Is there anyone out there that can please please help me!?!? MS employees if you're looking for a challenge here it is ha!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Usually when such issue occurs, it is suggested to restart the computer to check if you can boot into system. If so, perform system restore and run manually run Windows Update to check. At this situation, you can't boot into system, then WinRE will prompt but still System Restore in WinRE does not work.

Given this situation, try using the DISM command to see what update is in a problem state:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /get-packages

When you run this command, you should see one or more packages listed in a Pending state. check for known issues with the particular update or package. There may be a more direct workaround.

If you are unable to find another solution, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions:

dism.exe /image:d: \ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows.

If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer - disk issue, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform  an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows Installation to prevent similar issues in the future.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:44 AM
  • You can find more informations about the Stop 0xC000021A at the following web address

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560177(v=VS.85).aspx

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 12:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Usually when such issue occurs, it is suggested to restart the computer to check if you can boot into system. If so, perform system restore and run manually run Windows Update to check. At this situation, you can't boot into system, then WinRE will prompt but still System Restore in WinRE does not work.

Given this situation, try using the DISM command to see what update is in a problem state:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /get-packages

When you run this command, you should see one or more packages listed in a Pending state. check for known issues with the particular update or package. There may be a more direct workaround.

If you are unable to find another solution, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions:

dism.exe /image:d: \ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows.

If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer - disk issue, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform  an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows Installation to prevent similar issues in the future.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:44 AM
  • You can find more informations about the Stop 0xC000021A at the following web address

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560177(v=VS.85).aspx

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 12:27 PM