none
Folder redirection: Two document folders

Question

• Hello,

I'm experiencing some weird effects using the enabled folder redirection in my company.

Context:

The local documents folder gets mapped onto the server.

But I noticed that I have two different document folders now:

Windows Library (Pictures, Documents, Music, etc.) - Online and mapped documents folder, storage location is on the server.

C:\Users\myprofile\Documents - Offline and locally stored.

Can someone explain this behavior?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    As far as I know, the issue might be caused by offline files. My understanding that is that Redirected files are by default offline files. So when the user logs in, by default they see local cached files and then once the files are synched, it shows the last location of the files which would be on the server.
    Offline Files makes network files available to an end user when a network connection to the server is unavailable or slow. When working online, file access performance is at the speed of the network and server. When the server is unavailable or the network connection is slower than a configurable threshold, files are retrieved from the Offline Files folder at local access speeds.
    You could try changing the behavior of offline files to sync on log off instead on logon and you will probably get different results.
    Please see the details from:
    Offline Files and Folder Redirection
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg277982(v=ws.10).aspx
    Configuring New Offline Files Features for Windows 7 Computers Step-by-Step Guide
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff633429(v=ws.10).aspx

In addition, I would also suggest you check the event log and make sure that folder redirection works fine.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:38 AM