Bookmarking RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am going through this link

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ramg/archive/2010/10/28/tagging-and-social-bookmarking-in-sharepoint-2010.aspx

But i want to do bookmarking as follows :

1] I have a SP2010 site in which i am maintaining 2 libraries a) public b) private

2] Suppose user goes onto a site www.abc.com and if want to make it as bookmark,for eg (SP provides Tags and notes ) and when he click on Tags and Notes from www.abc.com it should ask whether he wants to make it public,private and projectmembers.Based on what he click the bookmarked url should go into those specific library on my site

Is it possible to acheive above scenario ?

If yes then how ?

Please share some tutorials or videos link if you have any.

Thanx in advance :)

"The Only Way To Get Smarter Is By Playing A Smarter Opponent"
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:17 AM

Answers

• If you have access to a my site you can copy the javascript favorite used for bookmarking and modify it to point to your new list, using the URL with query string parameters populated to match your scema as defined in my first answer. If you want to write your own script, do a search for bookmarklet or favelet to find examples and instructions.

Here's a site that is several years old but appears to have a lot of good information. IMPORTANT: I have not read through the entire site and can't speak for the quality or safety of the code examples. Please make sure you are familiar with JavaScript, undersand the implications of the code you're using and never just grab code off the internet without making sure it's both safe and that you're respecting any copyright/licensing requirements.

http://subsimple.com/bookmarklets/default.asp

Cheers,
    Reeves

-- Program Manager, SharePoint User Experience
    • Proposed as answer by Reeves Little - Friday, September 30, 2011 9:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:20 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Ravi,

It sounds like you're trying to get similar functionality to the my site without using a my site, is that correct?

You can prepopulate the field values for a form using query string parameters. End User SharePoint has a great article from Mark Rackley on the topic. Combine that with a bookmarklet script and you're mostly there. It would probably be less complex to have two scripts, one for private and one for public, but you could make the script prompt if you wanted.

Cheers,
    Reeves

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Hi Reeves ,

What Your are saying is exact what i am trying to acheive

Thanx for the link also

But my basic question is i want to add a bookmark button on Internet explorer or firefox anywhere.

As the "Tags And Notes" is being added on IE when we actually drag it on IE.

Simmilarly i want to add my custom bookmark button on IE and which will do functionality as i have mentioned above in my ques

Is it possible

Let me know if i am not clear :)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:52 AM
  • If you have access to a my site you can copy the javascript favorite used for bookmarking and modify it to point to your new list, using the URL with query string parameters populated to match your scema as defined in my first answer. If you want to write your own script, do a search for bookmarklet or favelet to find examples and instructions.

Here's a site that is several years old but appears to have a lot of good information. IMPORTANT: I have not read through the entire site and can't speak for the quality or safety of the code examples. Please make sure you are familiar with JavaScript, undersand the implications of the code you're using and never just grab code off the internet without making sure it's both safe and that you're respecting any copyright/licensing requirements.

http://subsimple.com/bookmarklets/default.asp

Cheers,
    Reeves

• Proposed as answer by Reeves Little - Friday, September 30, 2011 9:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:20 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Thanx Reeves,

Let me give a try for it :)

Friday, September 30, 2011 5:47 AM