Citrix App v Client Cache Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having a few issues with the app v client cache on my 2008 R2 Citrix servers. All the servers have a 40GB dedicated virtual HD for caching. I have nine Citrix servers and a test server that are all built the exact same. I have been using the test server to test the published apps before publishing them out to citrix.

The issue is that while I was publishing the apps through app v  the apps were being published to all the machines. The only machine that i was regularly clearing the cache on during the testing period was my test server. The citrix server had all those different versions being published to them without clearing the old application.

Now i am seeing that the test server is the only server caching apps properly. The citrix servers will load older broken versions of the apps even after the apps have been cleared and then refreshed and reloaded.

I will include the steps i have tried to solve this issue below. I apologize if my post is not crystal clear, but if you have questions feel free to ask. Any help is appreciated.

1. Clear apps from cache by right clicking on the app in the app v client on the problem server and selecting delete.

2. Set the registry key HKLM/software/wow6432node/microsoft/softgrid/4.6/client/Appfs/state to 0 to clear the cached and rebooted with no change.

3.I have manually removed all the files saved on the cache drive and had them re added by re loading all the apps.

4. I used the global remove command - sftmime.exe /remove obj:app /complete /global

Thanks,

Mike P.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

You may use the following:

Stop APP-V Client service, delete sftfs.fsd file from %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\SoftGrid Client. Restart your machine and now open Client. If you face any error while opening client, then repair the client installation.

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you investigated the log-files on the clients to see what is happening?
    /Znack
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Hi Mike,

We're having the exact same issue in our environment. Have you already resolved this? Would you be willing to share your insights in a follow up post? I'm still researching the same concern(s) and greatly appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks,

Kelleen

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Mike, in (1), please tell me exactly where I can find "the app in the app v client." How do I navigate there in Windows Explorer on the Citrix server?
    Monday, May 21, 2012 1:01 PM
  • Have you tried deleting the user vol after clearing the cache through the APP-V Client?

The default path for this is %APPDATA%\Softgrid Client

You may have set it to a different location such a homedrive.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, May 21, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hi Mike,

You may use the following:

Stop APP-V Client service, delete sftfs.fsd file from %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\SoftGrid Client. Restart your machine and now open Client. If you face any error while opening client, then repair the client installation.

Monday, May 21, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Dear Mike

We have similar issues with the App-V Client cache on App-V 4.6SP3 with XenApp 5.  The main issue seemed to be applciations getting trapped in the cache and then not clearing out correctly.

My soultion was as to remove the app-v client from the base image (this gets rid of the cache), clear out the app-v folders just in case then reinstall it to start the cache from scratch.

We have a PVS environment with a standard image so it was fairly simple to do and I used a startup script to reinstall the app-v client and load in the apps everytime our provisioned servers are rebooted ensuring a clean app-v cache every reboot. 

Hope this helps.

Phil

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 2:33 PM