How do I lock the toolbars on the Windows Taskbar? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am trying to make a consistent user experience for my visitors. The one thing I am getting stuck on, however, is locking toolbars on the taskbar. Do you know how to lock TOOLBARS on the taskbar (not just locking the taskbar itself)?

Any suggestions would help. Thanks!

Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

it is not exactly clear what the issue is. Please describe exactly what you want to achieve and what happens if you try to do so.

Locking the taskbar not only locks the positition of the taskbar, but it also removes the posisblity to move toolbars around on the taskbar (the 'handles' disappear)

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:57 PM
  • I don’t think that lock taskbar option is as granular is you would like, it is either locked, or not locked.
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator Windows Server 2008 MCTS: Windows 7, Active Directory, Network Infrastructure, Applications Infrastructure, Exchange 2007 ITIL V3 Certified
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:12 PM
  • To clarify, I want to prevent removal of the toolbars such as the quick launch toolbar. I don't know how to do that. Locking the taskbar does not prevent removal of the toolbars.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

You can configure this using Group Policy

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938786.aspx  and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617162(WS.10).aspx provide info on GPO settings for the start menu en toolbars, including disabling adding, dragging, dropping and closing of  taskbars toolbars for different veriosn of Windows. i just checked an the settigns you need ar available there.

Be sure to test the gpo properly before deploying it to all clients!

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Michael45512 Monday, November 28, 2011 11:34 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 9:59 PM
  • It worked! Thank you for taking the time to help me!

One more question: How do you close this thread?

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:36 PM
  • You can't close a thread here, just mark the answer, like you already did (thanks!)
    MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:49 AM