none
Prime OS installation to Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• This thread is expecting a reply by Mr. Leon Laude who is familiar with what I am trying to do.  The plan is for him to enter this thread as soon as he can.  We have privately discussed this.

First, I am following the following instructions:

how-to-create-and-run-virtual-machines-with-hyper-v/

Once done, and using a Prime OS iso file, I attempt to continue from there.  Along the way, there are a few times I have to make assumptions and the end result is Prime OS will not ultimately run.  I need help in that exercise.  For example, I am asked if I want to install Grub 2 ... and figuring that is for DUAL BOOT rather than VM, I say no.  That may be the problem, .. or maybe something else.  I just don't know.

Hopefully when Mr. Laude responds, we can get down to business and get this done.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 6:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you using an existing Hyper-V virtual machine with another operating system, or are you using a new Hyper-V virtual machine with no operating system installed?

Which PrimeOS ISO did you download, the PrimeOS Classic or the PrimeOS Standard?

I did get it working by using a new Hyper-V virtual machine with no other operating system, but for some reason the Graphical User Interface (GUI) of the PrimeOS was not shown, I only had the command line.

To get it working with the GUI, I did the following:

Hyper-V Setup

• Hyper-V virtual machine Generation 2.

Hyper-V Configuration

• Secure Boot in the virtual machine set to disabled.

The Hyper-V virtual machine already had a Windows operating system installed (Windows 10), so I created a new virtual hard disk, size 50GB (VHDX type) and attached it to the Windows 10 virtual machine.

I booted in to the Windows 10 virtual machine, went to Disk Management, initialized the 50GB virtual disk, created a new volume (NTFS) and performed a quick format.

Then I shut down the Windows 10 virtual machine, started it up again with the PrimeOS Standard ISO mounted, and then you simply follow the installation guide over here: PrimeOS Installation Guide

Make sure you do follow the steps exactly as mentioned in the installation guide, that also means you will need to install the Grub.

Once PrimeOS has been installed, after you have restarted the virtual machine, you should see the following:

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by WacoJohn Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:34 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you using an existing Hyper-V virtual machine with another operating system, or are you using a new Hyper-V virtual machine with no operating system installed?

Which PrimeOS ISO did you download, the PrimeOS Classic or the PrimeOS Standard?

I did get it working by using a new Hyper-V virtual machine with no other operating system, but for some reason the Graphical User Interface (GUI) of the PrimeOS was not shown, I only had the command line.

To get it working with the GUI, I did the following:

Hyper-V Setup

• Hyper-V virtual machine Generation 2.

Hyper-V Configuration

• Secure Boot in the virtual machine set to disabled.

The Hyper-V virtual machine already had a Windows operating system installed (Windows 10), so I created a new virtual hard disk, size 50GB (VHDX type) and attached it to the Windows 10 virtual machine.

I booted in to the Windows 10 virtual machine, went to Disk Management, initialized the 50GB virtual disk, created a new volume (NTFS) and performed a quick format.

Then I shut down the Windows 10 virtual machine, started it up again with the PrimeOS Standard ISO mounted, and then you simply follow the installation guide over here: PrimeOS Installation Guide

Make sure you do follow the steps exactly as mentioned in the installation guide, that also means you will need to install the Grub.

Once PrimeOS has been installed, after you have restarted the virtual machine, you should see the following:

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by WacoJohn Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:34 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Hyper-V and Prime OS are all I am using.  I tried Standard and Classic because Standard did not work.  I get as far as 'loading kernel' and it just sits there.  I chose Gen I for each.

I naively thought Hypver-V and an iso would be all that is needed. The install would take care of all the partitioning etc.  Basically, I am hesitant to attempt this at this time.  The steps you describe are just a bit beyond my abilities or interest.

Thank you for your time and courtesy.  I consider your reply to be a solution.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:34 PM
  • wish you provide video tutorial than typing here. maybe it would be easy follow.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 11:23 AM
  • Hi,
    I also found that if you are using PrimeOS in a Gen2 Environment you need to manually create a 512mb fat32 formatted EFI system partition! I accomplished this with a windows10 ISO and then using diskpart via the command lines!

Greetings,

Tim

• Proposed as answer by BORNIOS Monday, December 30, 2019 1:11 PM
    Saturday, June 22, 2019 10:31 AM
  • I really needed the 512M EFI partition, thank you very much
    Monday, December 30, 2019 1:11 PM