none
Project Server 2010 Save/Publish error in PWA for some projects RRS feed

• Question

• A handful of our projects are not saving/publishing correctly when fields are updated in PWA and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.  Here are the details:

- We have a Project Detail Page that displays the custom fields we created for our projects.  Several of these fields are routinely updated via PWA instead of Project 2010. 

- A few of the projects will not save and/or check-in after edits are made in PWA and we receive the following error XML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

<errinfo>

<general>

<class name="Project">

<error id="9133" name="ProjectSchedulingEngineException" uid="67c74e83-4ab8-40be-ae41-d95bae332da8" exception="Microsoft.Office.Project.Scheduling.EventHorizonStartException: Error in the application.&#xD;&#xA;   at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.ProjectSchedule.Schedule()&#xD;&#xA;   at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.ProjectMain.HandleProject(ProjectDataSet dataset, Guid projectUid, Boolean fSkipSchedulingCalc, Guid userUid, String userName, Boolean isNew, Boolean addColumns, ProjectLocks projectLock, Boolean fCheckReadOnly, Boolean fCheckProtectedActuals, Boolean fAllowAddEntRes, Boolean fOptIndexRecalced, Guid templateUid, Boolean fSkipCfFormulaCalc)" />

</class>

<class name="Queue">

<error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="2085b308-1a7b-4cc0-9caf-06eaab6b2aa8" JobUID="50d1343d-85d1-4fae-afc7-8a0ec6637f51" ComputerName="PS2010" GroupType="ProjectUpdate" MessageType="ProjectUpdateMessage" MessageId="2" Stage="" />

</class>

</general>

</errinfo>

This only happens with a few projects while most of them save/check-in just fine.  Does this error message make sense to anyone out there?

Here's a tidbit that may be relevant:

When we were configuring PS2010 prior to rolling it out to the entire company we made a copy of some of our projects from Project 2003 and transitioned them into Project Server 2010 so that we had some "real" projects in PS2010 to test functionality against.  When testing was completed we deleted all of these "test projects" from PS2010.  However, when we made the move to Project 2010 the latest versions of the "test projects" were moved to 2010 along with all of the other projects.  Unfortunately I did not keep a list of the test projects we used but I think the projects we're currently having problems with do correspond to the ones we used for testing and then deleted prior to the final transition.  Now this may have nothing to do with anything, but it seems like a pretty big coincidence. 

If anyone suggestions or thoughts on this please let me know.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• On the face of it, it sounds like users may updating in Project Web App, but forgetting to Publish and checkin the projects after making the changes. Could this be the case?
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Hi Gary,

We do all of our updates in Project 2010 and save/publish from there.  It seems like the issue is cropping up randomly with some of the projects that we imported from Project 2003 (our previous system).  Could the fact that they were imported from 2003 have anything to do with it?  It has been difficult for me to pinpoint when exactly things seem to be going wrong because I'm getting messages from PMs saying "there was a problem with this project file" but they rarely have many details on what they were just doing.  Anyway, from what I can tell some of the projects just refuse to save properly for some reason: it sort of seems like something is going on with the publishing process where a project is published but something gets out of whack and the next time you try to save/publish its throwing an error and nobody can save/publish it.

Monday, May 23, 2011 4:41 PM
  • I am not surprised to hear this as I have heard it from others. It might be worth rebuilding the schedules that give you problems if you can't pinpoint a specific characteristic. These types of problems can be caused by blank summary lines, blank task names, blank task lines and resources assigned to summary tasks. Make sure that the schedules do not suffer from these bad habits.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:43 PM