none
Bitlocker key wont work RRS feed

• Question

• I got a Dell laptop that was malfunctioning from the beginning, after a while it literally wouldn't work, seems to be hard drive problem, but am not sure, on rebooting, sometimes says hard drive not installed, and sometimes it reboots but gives the blue screen errors, different ones and sometimes it actually boots up windows, yet runs very very slow and then crashes with blue screen again. 

• So in order to retrieve my data before I send it for repair by Dell, I removed hard drive, connected it with an adaptor to another laptop, my Hp laptop, to use as external hard to remove data.

It asked for bitlocker key , that I have , but when I put it in it says its wrong.

I tried multiple times, I do put in the correct key numbers, but it says its wrong.

The bitlocker key does work when I put the hard back into the dell computer that it came with.

Please know I am not super tech savy but can follow instructions in more laymen terms.

Please help , thank you

Sunday, July 22, 2018 3:42 PM

All replies

• Kindly go through the following article to resolve the issue:

Find my BitLocker recovery key

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Monday, July 23, 2018 2:46 AM
  • AtessaZ, the problem might be, that your secondary system uses an older OS or an older built of win10.

You need at least version 1511 of win10 to read disks that are encrypted by newer builts of win10, so please try and update your secondary system.

Monday, July 23, 2018 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

If the drive is a data drive, you can unlock it from the BitLocker Drive Encryption Control Panel item just as you would any other data drive by using a password or smart card. If the data drive was configured for automatic unlock only, you will have to unlock it by using the recovery key.

If it is an operating system drive mounted on another computer running Windows 7 or later, the encrypted hard disk can be unlocked by a data recovery agent.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-7/dd875560(v=ws.10)#BKMK_proc_dra

Here is a workaround, you can decrypt it on Dell machine, and remove it to HP machine for retrieving data. After doing that, encrypt the drive again. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 23, 2018 9:52 AM
  • If you have any problem,please feel free to let me know

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Vivian, please read the question once more.

"I removed hard drive, connected it with an adaptor to another laptop"

"It asked for bitlocker key , that I have , but when I put it in it says its wrong. I tried multiple times, I do put in the correct key numbers, but it says its wrong."

Your answer does not fit and should not be selected as proposed solution until we have feedback on my suggestion which is a possible explanation of these symptoms.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:25 AM