none
Silent install for an exe with a popup prompt... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have one application I would like to silently install. I know the switch, and it completes fine, but for one initial popup: "Please close all applications before proceeding."

It just requires a click on OK and it takes off. I know the prompt is built into the exe. I am looking for something that can answer that for me. I read a little about onClick but I'm not that familiar with it's use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 2:21 PM

Answers

• A quick search on the net did not yield any results aside from suggestións to use AutoIt (or some other form of macro scripting solution). There might be a different way for you, which I used for simple applications successfully in the past: MSI repackaging. I am not going to go into great detail here, because all the basics are already covered here. Personally I had great success with Smart Packager from Scalable, but I can't stress this enough - repackaging should only be used as a last ressort.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 4:18 PM

All replies

• What's the name of this application? 

Run the exe with the /? swicth to have a look at any options that may appear.

LAD114

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:16 AM
  • I thought I might be asked..... It's called FATPOT. It is a Dept of Public Safety/Highway Patrol program, the main one used by road Officers. It is a combination of about 6 apps in one, some MSI and some EXE. I have them all extracted and all running but this one.
    I even installed an EXE to MSI converter. That works, too, but the prompt to Please Close All Applications Before Proceeding seems to be embedded in the creation of their exe. I may try to contact them for a modified installer of this piece.
     I had tried /? and no help menu is available. /S is what works, all but for that prompt.
    • Edited by the1rickster Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:32 PM
  • Alternatively, if there is no switch to attempt to close running apps, you could try figuring out which app / service is running and write a small script that closes the offending app / stops the service prior to installing the app. You could also try running a restart computer action prior to installing the application which is giving you some headache.

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:44 PM
  • Thanks Anton. I had thought about this, too. I don't think the program checks to see if the services are stopped. It appears that the install pauses, it assumes you will close the apps, then click OK. It is the OK I need clicked. There are no associated apps running because I'm about to install it for the first time, so this prompt in this case is redundant. I thought about a script to even send a click for OK, but I don't know how to run that for a program currently running.
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:51 PM
  • Have you tried pulling all possible install switches for the application as suggested above? What kind of installer is this application using?

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:04 PM
  • It uses Nullsoft Install Systems v2.35 and I've tried all switches I could find online.
    I'm still tempted to think this popup is part of the exe although getting past it silently would be beneficial.
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:13 PM
  • A quick search on the net did not yield any results aside from suggestións to use AutoIt (or some other form of macro scripting solution). There might be a different way for you, which I used for simple applications successfully in the past: MSI repackaging. I am not going to go into great detail here, because all the basics are already covered here. Personally I had great success with Smart Packager from Scalable, but I can't stress this enough - repackaging should only be used as a last ressort.

Cheers,
    Anton

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 4:18 PM
  • It might be worth contacting the developer to ask if they have a silent mechanism built into the installer. If they're really customercetric they might just add that in for you!

LAD114

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:27 PM