none
Project Server 2010: Problems creating new project sites RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

in one Project Server site we have problems creating new project sites.

• create site from server settings / Project Sites leads to
      "given project site has not been configured by using a valid project server template"
      (site template is default Project Server template)
    • using the url of the created site in the "edit site address" dialog works
    • newly created site templates (created as unchanged copies of the default templates) do not show up in the "select template" dialog

Other sites in the same web application work without problems.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:46 PM

Answers

• When weird things to work for me.  I run the SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard and makes sure it complete to the end without and errors.  Sometimes a windows patch or something, gets installed and the wizard needs to run to resolve something.   Try that and then see if things start working for you.

Cheeers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:02 AM

All replies

• Christoph,

Is this template is created based on existing project site?

From Project Sites page, are you able to create project site? (Template should be default)

Did you activate the template from Gallery?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

thanks for response.

The template is not based on a project but just on a standalone site created with default Project Site template.

In Project Sites I can try to create a site. I then get the error message and there is no site linked to the project. But the site is created (including the project collaboration feature active) and I can use the URL to link the existing site to the project without issues.

My own template that is not visible in the dropdown is active in the gallery. I also tried to disable/enable without any change

Regards

Christoph

Christoph Muelder | Senior Consultant, MCSE, MCT | SOLVIN information management GmbH, Germany

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Christoph,

I had a similar issue when PS 2013 first released. To fix it, I had to create the Site from and existing Project Site. Looks like the Project Site template is a SharePoint site not a Project Server one. Therefore, it’s not connecting the project. 

Ali Al . Consultant & Development Manager.
    epma
    FB TW IN

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Christoph,

Creating Project site template with existing Project site is not a good idea, Since Project site will look for Project GUID associated with the site.

You could try these steps.
    1. Create a test Project Plan along with Project Site.
    2. Delete the project plan without deleting the associated Project Site.
    3. Navigate to Site Actions >> Site Settings and Select Sites and workspace
    4. Click on the test site.
    5. Use same old steps to customize and save the site as template

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

I fear I was not precise enough.

I did not use a existing project site for the template. I created a new SharePoint site using the defaut Project Server template, did no changes and just saved this as template to the gallery.

This template does not show up in the template selection.

But as not even the default template works without problems, there will be few chances that a custom template will work.

Regards

Christoph

Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Hi Ali,

thanks. But my environment is Project Server 2010 and with this simple thing there had never been a problem in the 100 environments we configured before :-(

Regards

Christoph

Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:30 PM
  • When weird things to work for me.  I run the SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard and makes sure it complete to the end without and errors.  Sometimes a windows patch or something, gets installed and the wizard needs to run to resolve something.   Try that and then see if things start working for you.

Cheeers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:02 AM
  • Hi Michael,

bingo!

In fact that was something I also wanted to try - followed by a reboot... :-)

But I was not able to do so yet because it is a productive system.

But now your proposal reminded me of giving the config wizard a try and in fact as well the default template works as our own templates show up in the dropdown.

Very weird indeed - as half a dozen other pwa instances on the same machine worked without  any issue....

Thanks for help and kind regards

Christoph

Saturday, May 25, 2013 5:20 PM