Moving Exchange 2007 SCR target logs RRS feed

• Question

• I need to increase space on my target SCR logs drive. I have the new drive and I've suspended replication but when I attempt to copy the files to the other drive I get an access denied for files in the "Storage Group"/IgnoredLogs folder... In looking only system has access to this folder.  Can I ignore this and continue or is there something else I have to do?

Thanks

R

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:58 PM

Answers

• If too many logs are held in the ignoredlogs folder the ExchBPA advises the below.  So I guess you can ignore those and continue

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd535389(EXCHG.80).aspx

Log files that accumulate in the IgnoredLogs subfolder are not automatically removed. Therefore, as the number of log files increases over time, available storage space on the storage location may be used up. This, together with typical transaction log generation could cause Exchange to stop processing messages.

To address this issue, delete the log files from the IgnoredLogs subfolder in the appropriate storage group.

Sukh
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:05 PM
  • The IgnoredLogs folders contains logs that are out of date, or broken, or just basically can't be replayed.  They can't be replayed therefore there's no need to copy them.  In the end you actually just end up taking ownership and deleting them when they accumulate.  Just out of curiosity, how many are in the folder?  It isn't why you're running out of space, is it?

J

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:51 PM

All replies

• If too many logs are held in the ignoredlogs folder the ExchBPA advises the below.  So I guess you can ignore those and continue

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd535389(EXCHG.80).aspx

Log files that accumulate in the IgnoredLogs subfolder are not automatically removed. Therefore, as the number of log files increases over time, available storage space on the storage location may be used up. This, together with typical transaction log generation could cause Exchange to stop processing messages.

To address this issue, delete the log files from the IgnoredLogs subfolder in the appropriate storage group.

Sukh
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:05 PM
  • The IgnoredLogs folders contains logs that are out of date, or broken, or just basically can't be replayed.  They can't be replayed therefore there's no need to copy them.  In the end you actually just end up taking ownership and deleting them when they accumulate.  Just out of curiosity, how many are in the folder?  It isn't why you're running out of space, is it?

J

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Thanks for the replies...

Well they vary over time... And they appear to be at times that we ran out of log space on the SCR taget side.

We've run out of space on a couple occasions because our SCR target is virtual and we had limited space so the logs drive is smaller on the target then the source.

That's one of the reasons I was wanting to move to a larger drive.

Thanks

R

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi rsblind,

How about the issue, any updates?

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:09 PM