How to Test SMTP RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange Server 2010. Windows Server 2008 R2.

I have a third party software (within the same LAN and domain as my Exchange Server) that tries to send email messages via SMTP.  When we initiate a message from this software (using valid domain credentials), the software indicates no error (which it did before we configured it with valid credentials).  However, the email recipient never receives the message.  In one test case the recipient is a user with a mailbox in our Exchange 2010 server.

What tools or logs can I use to try to find out why the messages are not going through.  Right now it is like a black hole.  The third party software reports no error, but the messages are not being delivered.  By the way, this same functionality works from other programs (like WordPress web sites using SMTP to send email notices through our Exchange server).

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:45 PM

Answers

• The first thing would be to check the message tracking logs to see if the message every gets to Exchange.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124926(v=exchg.141).aspx

You can also turn on protocol logging on your Receive connector to get more details

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531(v=exchg.141).aspx

Are there any logs from the 3rd party software? How is the software sending messages to Exchange? Via IP or hostname or MX record lookup?

DJ Grijalva | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 SPA 2010 | www.persistentcerebro.com

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:52 PM
  • Thanks all for the help.  We got the problem resolved with the third party support.  it was not an Exchange issue.

Doug Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:55 PM

All replies

• The first thing would be to check the message tracking logs to see if the message every gets to Exchange.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124926(v=exchg.141).aspx

You can also turn on protocol logging on your Receive connector to get more details

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531(v=exchg.141).aspx

Are there any logs from the 3rd party software? How is the software sending messages to Exchange? Via IP or hostname or MX record lookup?

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:52 PM
  • The third party software is sending using the host name (gnexchange.goodnewsjail.org).  Here is the configuration screen:

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:59 PM
  • Argh!  As usual, those Microsoft articles are cryptic and not helpful to me at this point.  Basically, I would like some monitoring device that I could watch and see if the SMTP message actually comes into the Exchange Server from the third party software.  For instance, if the third party software test is attempting to send to joe@a.net, how can I monitor on the Exchange side to see (1) does the software make the connection and (2) does a message come into Exchange, and (3) what does Exchange do with it.

When I tried doing the first article, it resulted in error.  No help and no data.

Thank you DJ for replying.  I am just frustrated at the black hole Exchange Server is.  Isn't there something for a dummy like me to be able to see in?

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:43 PM
  • Configure Protocol logging and can also configure diagnostic logging from the same. Believe you have created a dedicated receive connector ... then why not telentting from the same application or machine
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Okay.  So I set verbose protocol logging on my connector.  Where and how do I access the logged data thereafter??

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:00 PM
  • What part of the first article was cryptic? Did you try performing the search via powershell or via the EMC?

Try running 

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Start 10/14/2014

This will give you all the messages for today. 

Those 1-3 things that you wanna see will be in the protocol logs and message tracking logs in Exchange. The protocol logs will show the actual SMTP transaction that takes place between the 3rd party app and Exchange. Those text logs are are pretty much as "dummy" as it gets. 

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:03 PM
  • The protocol logs are in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997624(v=exchg.141).aspx

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:05 PM
  • I turned on verbose logging for both of my connectors.  Then I went to:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\Logs\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive

The only file there is from 2013.  What am I missing?

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Okay.  I modified that some to show all messages.  I used:

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Start 10/14/2014 -ResultSize 100000

Now how can I capture those results in a file so I can search it?  And, how can I make the command just return info for a particular email address?

Thanks for all the help.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:19 PM
  • Get-MessageTrackingLog -Start 10/14/2014 -ResultSize unlimited -Recipients j@a.net

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:27 PM
  • Thanks all for the help.  We got the problem resolved with the third party support.  it was not an Exchange issue.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:55 PM