Error 1310. Error writing to file C:\Config.Msi\356163.rbf when trying to repair Office 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble with Excel 2010 crashing.  I have tried to repair Office 2010 but I keep getting the response:

Error 1310. Error writing to file C:\Config.Msi\356163.rbf.  Please verify that you have access to that directory.

Can that error be fixed or should I just uninstall Office and reinstall???

Friday, August 3, 2012 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Essentially the CONFIG.MSI folder contains backups of files that are being installed or updated during a program installation.However, sometimes the installer program fails to add & remove these files because the access permissions have been changed by some programs.Please try the following steps to add the Everyone group with Full Control permissions to the Config.Msi Folder:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 7

1.Start > in Search programs and files box, type Folder Options then Enter.

2.Click the View tab.

3.Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives,

4.Uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended), and then click OK.

Add the Everyone group with Full Control permissions to the Config.Msi Folder

1.Open My Computer

2.Double-click on Drive C

3.Look for the CONFIG.MSI folder

4.Right-click on the CONFIG.MSI folder and  and then click Properties and then click the Security tab.

5.Click the Edit... button and on the next screen click Add.

6.On the next screen, in the large text window type Everyone and then click Check Names - Everyone should then be underlined.

7.Check the box for Full control under the Allow column, and then click OK, then OK again, and OK again to close all the windows.

Now try repairing your Office 2010 again.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 6, 2012 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Essentially the CONFIG.MSI folder contains backups of files that are being installed or updated during a program installation.However, sometimes the installer program fails to add & remove these files because the access permissions have been changed by some programs.Please try the following steps to add the Everyone group with Full Control permissions to the Config.Msi Folder:

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 7

1.Start > in Search programs and files box, type Folder Options then Enter.

2.Click the View tab.

3.Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives,

4.Uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended), and then click OK.

Add the Everyone group with Full Control permissions to the Config.Msi Folder

1.Open My Computer

2.Double-click on Drive C

3.Look for the CONFIG.MSI folder

4.Right-click on the CONFIG.MSI folder and  and then click Properties and then click the Security tab.

5.Click the Edit... button and on the next screen click Add.

6.On the next screen, in the large text window type Everyone and then click Check Names - Everyone should then be underlined.

7.Check the box for Full control under the Allow column, and then click OK, then OK again, and OK again to close all the windows.

Now try repairing your Office 2010 again.

Best regards,

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 6, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Found this post, and am having the same problem.  Not only do I not have a config.msi file, I don't have a folder by that name.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Christine

• Proposed as answer by COSTEL OLTEANU Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:12 AM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:34 PM
  • I put Kaspersky on pause protection and the error disappear

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:17 AM