Convert the OAB virtual directory to an application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I was following this post Recommendation: Enabling Kerberos Authentication for MAPI Clients on the Exchange Team Blog to enable Kerebos authentication.

Part of the blog states that we should run the script ConvertOABVDir.ps1 to convert the OAB to a Virtual Directory - and so I did. Then I routinely ran the ExBPA and I received the following message:

The application pool 'MSExchangeOabAppPool' is selected for virtual directory '/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/OAB' on server MBX.domain.com. It's recommended that you select application pool: 'DefaultAppPool'. Please go into Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and select the correct application pool.

I would've figured that the script would've taken care of assigning the correct App Pool, but I guess it didn't. Can anyone comment as to what the correct configuration should be?

Thanks,

Reuvy

Monday, January 16, 2012 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Reuv,

ExBPA has not been updated to reflect the new guidance with respect to App Pool assignment with the OAB virtual directory to support Kerberos authentication with internal Outlook clients. You can safely ignore the error reported by ExBPA.

Ross

Ross Smith IV Principal Program Manager Exchange Customer Experience
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Reuvy,

Geneally the ExBPA tool will provide the expanation or resolution for the error provided. You may follow the resolution provided to troubleshoot the issue you are encountering.

Refer to:

A virtual directory is running under an incorrect application pool

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd577064(EXCHG.80).aspx

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Reuvy Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:47 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Hi Fiona,

I think you missed my point. What I was asking is essentially that the ExBPA is basically commenting on a change which is directly the opposite of what the script mentioned in the article does! The script intentially (I suppose) creates a new Application Pool (granted it is based on the DefaultAppPool) and assigns it to the OAB Virtual Directory.

So I am basically saying that the technet article contradicts the BPA results.

Reuv

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:47 PM
  • Hi Reuv,

ExBPA has not been updated to reflect the new guidance with respect to App Pool assignment with the OAB virtual directory to support Kerberos authentication with internal Outlook clients. You can safely ignore the error reported by ExBPA.

Ross

Ross Smith IV Principal Program Manager Exchange Customer Experience
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Hey Ross,

Thanks!

Reuvy

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:12 PM