Storage Spaces using USB3-connected 4-bay HDD enclosure RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to create a storage space using a 4-bay external drive box connected via USB3.  The Storage Spaces wizard allowed me to select the three drives but then returned an error message that said the storage pool could not be created but did not say why.  Disk Management is able to see the three individual 2-TB drives.  This box also supports eSATA with port-multiplier, a feature I've successfully used with a Probox 4-bay JBOD so I'll try this if USB3 is impossible.

• Is this a limitation of the USB3 interface vis a vis Storage Spaces or, perhaps the USB3 implementation of the Rosewill RX305  - SATA III-to-USB 3.0 & eSATA 4-Bay drive enclosure?
    • The procedure for creating a Storage Space is simple but perhaps I did something wrong?
    • Has anyone created a storage space on multiple drives using a single USB3 port?

Thanks.  Eric Lewis

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi erlewis,

"Storage Spaces has the following requirements:
    Serial ATA (SATA) or Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) connected disks, optionally in a just-a-bunch-of-disks (JBOD) enclosure
    RAID adapters, if used, must have all RAID functionality disabled and must not obscure any attached devices, including enclosure services provided by an attached JBOD."
    Storage Spaces Overview
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831739(v=ws.11).aspx

As far as I know, USB drives could be added into Storage Space pool. But I am afraid it is not available to add multiple drives as one drive to the storage space based on above information.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by erlewis Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:07 AM

All replies

• Hi erlewis,

"Storage Spaces has the following requirements:
    Serial ATA (SATA) or Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) connected disks, optionally in a just-a-bunch-of-disks (JBOD) enclosure
    RAID adapters, if used, must have all RAID functionality disabled and must not obscure any attached devices, including enclosure services provided by an attached JBOD."
    Storage Spaces Overview
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831739(v=ws.11).aspx

As far as I know, USB drives could be added into Storage Space pool. But I am afraid it is not available to add multiple drives as one drive to the storage space based on above information.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by erlewis Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:07 AM
  • Youre hardware is very good,try a simple fix(s).1st,OS & storage hardware,or any pc board controller(s),get

configured thru the MB chipset,this install is thru youre pc mfg,or hardware mfg (intel/amd/etc),the chipset is 1st,

then you need the storage controller software intel was matrix storage mgr,youre pc would use newer,but w/o

the software/drivers,& its running youre defeating the issue.Also,USB HDs are great storage devices,but to configure in RAID,they are not the best,plus RAID/SCSI has to be configured in the pc BIOS,once it is,a RAID/SCSI

configuration must be shown on all pc start-ups/restarts.Also,try intel.com/RAID systems/software,this is thru support,also,SATA 3 isnt USB,its hard drive run time.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:40 AM
  • I have 2 storage spaces, each about 16 and 20TB. Both have USB3.0 attached hard drives. One is a dual encloser with 2 3TB drives, and another Storage Space is completely enclosed in a 4 bay USB 3.0 encloser, with 4 TB drives. I have not had any problems with them, except when I tried to use it from W10 that was behind a few updates. It would not read, perhaps I had created it on a later version of W10, when I connected it to a later version it worked as if there were never an issue.

It had me worried for a bit, I started researching how to recover the data, and started feeling stupid for using storage spaces for critical data. Really, what did I have to gain? For the price of that enclosure and the 4 WD Black drives, I could have just bought 2 8TB drives, used them in any jbod enclosure, and if anything failed, it would likely be the enclosure, the drives would likely still read connected to the mobo. @Which leads me to this:

If you use a multi bay enclosure - it must be certified for Storage Spaces. Who would've guessed that? I sure didn'twhen I bought mine. Even now when I search for one to buy, I don't find anything. Its like a bogus stipulation to let you know its your fault when storage spaces loses your data.

The recovery process is strenuous and expensive too.

I hope this help. To answer your question, yes, It works great, but you might not want to do it. Steve

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 6:09 AM
  • Very interesting report.  I agree that disks are larger than ever but the requirement for safe-data backup and/or grab-and-go storage for disaster recovery purposes  makes this a compelling issue.  Use of Storage Spaces to simulate a single huge disk is a much better way to backup a system than any sort of partitioning backup strategy, in my opinion.  

Count my Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 3.5" Black SATA I/II/III USB 3.0 & eSATA 4 Bay External Enclosure             as one that supports Storage Spaces well with multi-port SATA but not USB3.0.

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:13 PM
  • I've also been confused by the almost the same question that @erlewis  did lately. As I digged from Microsoft's docs, the certified enclosure by Storage Spaces is only needed for Storage Spaces enclosure awareness, this feature is really a enterprise level feature which allows Storage Spaces put number of data copies on the disks cross different enclosure in case one enclosure failure.

I'm interested in your success of creating Storage Spaces by using 4 bay USB 3.0 enclosure. Is it a basic USB 3.0 enclosure without any fancy JBOD feature? And is it possible to disconnect the enclosure from one laptop and re-connect to another laptop(all runs Windows 10, but one is home edition, the other is professional edition) and Windows 10 can read the virtual disks created on top of Storage Pool automatically? Thanks.

Monday, May 14, 2018 6:10 AM
  • Hi Chrisxie:  What I learned from this experience is that USB is, or was, explicitly excepted from the storage spaces world.   This may have changed since I wrote my post a year ago with new versions of Windows Server.  If I recall correctly someone pointed me to Microsoft documentation that stated this explicitly though I don't have a reference to give you now.  Eric

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Saturday, January 12, 2019 3:49 PM