none
Latitude E6400 - PCI Simple Communications Controller - Missing driver in Device Manager

Question

•  Hi,

Just rebuilt a Latitude E6400 with Windows 7 64 bit.
    Device manager is showing under Other Devices, a driver missing for the PCI Simple Communications Controller.
    Can't figure out what driver this is referring to, has anyone got any ideas and can they point me to the appropriate driver ?

Thanks,
    Friday, April 8, 2011 12:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Since you are looking for a hardware driver for a Dell laptop, the most logical place to go is to the Dell website and download the drivers: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=W764&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=LAT_E6400&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False 

You will find the drivers for the PCI Simple Communications Controller undert the Communications tab!

Dell also has forums for their hardware: http://en.community.dell.com/ which is the proper place to go for support of Dell hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 8, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Looking at the properties of the PCI Simple Communications Controller, then selecting to view the hardware ids i get:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A44&SUBSYS_02331028&REV_07
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A44&SUBSYS_02331028
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A44&CC_078000
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A44&CC_0780

The first line refers to ' Intel Mobile 4 series chipset MEI Controller . Don't think that's going to come under the Communications tab offerings.

Friday, April 8, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Dell has ALL the drivers for your system.  Go to the Dell website at the link given before and download the necessary drivers.  If you need a chipset driver then click on the Chipset tab!

Your situation IS NOT a windows 7 problem!  It is a lack of proper hardware drivers which can be obtained directly from the Dell website.

If you can't figure out which drivers you need, then go to the Dell Community forums and post you problem there.  Since the website is hosted by Dell and they provide support for their hardware there, that is the most logical place to post.  You will also have a higher density of people with the same hardware there!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:49 PM
  • you are pointing people in an incorrect direction. The PCI simple communication drivers are not "communication" drivers, they are located in the Chipset area for Dell, with no way to know without taking a big risk of downloading the wrong one. It really is part of the Intel Active Management Technology package, in particular the AMT-SOL package and the AMT-HECI one. This will allow the use of the smart card reader. Please don't be so quick to criticize if you don't know the answer.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 7:23 PM
  • RICK DEE,

There's no need or place for your sarcasm here. You can waste someone else's time with your useless comments.

AndrewL009 the driver you are looking for will be in the chipsets section. More specifically AMT HECI (Intel Management Engine Interface). My issue is that upon installing it fails.

Dell E6400 Windows 7

• Proposed as answer by mclelland007 Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:28 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by mclelland007 Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:45 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:03 PM
  • RICK DEE,

There's no need or place for your sarcasm here. You can waste someone else's time with your useless comments.

AndrewL009 the driver you are looking for will be in the chipsets section. More specifically AMT HECI (Intel Management Engine Interface). My issue is that upon installing it fails.

Dell E6400 Windows 7

I get sarcastic when intransigents insist everything that happens to their computer is Microsoft's fault and don't bother to use any logic and figure out that each and every manufacturer and software publisher is responsible to ensure their products are fully functional under Windows!!

If the chipset driver fails, this is not a Windows fault!  This is the fault of the publisher not ensuring the software is fully compatible!

So why did you waste your time making a useless post?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:24 PM
  • I get sarcastic when intransigents insist everything that happens to their computer is Microsoft's fault and don't bother to use any logic and figure out that each and every manufacturer and software publisher is responsible to ensure their products are fully functional under Windows!!

If the chipset driver fails, this is not a Windows fault!  This is the fault of the publisher not ensuring the software is fully compatible!

So why did you waste your time making a useless post?

Yet the OP didn't insist anything of the sort.  He, like me, had two unknown devices and wasn't 100% sure which Dell driver to use.  The others provided quite useful information, (thanks to all) whereas you seemed determined to reprimand him with a link to the wrong section of the Dell Drivers page and an absurdly-excessive use of exclamation points.

Perhaps you should spend a little less time badgering people who ask an innocent questions...

• Edited by Shadowjack1965 Friday, October 28, 2011 1:47 PM corrected spelling
    Friday, October 28, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Amen. Don't forget that most people are in a hurry to come to a resolution and just google the question at hand. This was the first of many search results. Even with all of the bickering this forum helped me get a quick and exact answer to my problem (one of twenty issues i'm dealing with at work today) and I rather enjoyed reading it all the way through. I just wasted my time with a useless post as well!!!!!
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Hoorah for useless posts!
    Monday, August 19, 2013 9:12 AM
  • What a worthless reply.  Thank you captain obvious
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:18 PM
  • This is the Free Fall Sensor. Download the ST-Micro_Free_FallSensor_A11 from Chipsets.

• Edited by Panash Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:01 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:00 PM
  • As stated by others above this is a chipset driver - specifically on Dell's site it's listed for the E6440 (as of 1/16/2014) as the: Intel(R) Management Engine 9.0 Components Installer

The file can be downloaded from here: Intel management driver link

Dave

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:41 PM
  • RICK DEE,

Dell E6400 Windows 7

Perfectly correct with the remark about sarcasm. Though an easier solution I have found is to get the Ethernet/wireless drivers on and then right click the device with missing driver in Computer Management and Update Driver and I am sure Windows will find one. I have just had to rebuild a Latitude 5540 and 3340 in readiness for taking an image of, and I had no problems getting the driver-this way you are sure you get the correct driver. I do think the Dell web site is a bit confusing if you are not aware that a PCI Simple Comms Controller is actually one of the Chipset drivers and not an Ethernet/Wi-Fi or Bluetooth device.
    • Proposed as answer by LogOnFixIt Saturday, October 1, 2016 1:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:42 AM
  • I know this question was asked years ago but as I was searching for it only today, I thought it best to clear up errors and inconsistencies that I've run into. Some posts lists this as only for a "dial up modem driver" which simply doesn't exist on the E6400 (at least the one I'm typing on now) what you need is this exact driver to fix this problem.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&driverid=R279202 

What your seeing is a missing Intel AMT-HECI driver. This fixed my problem without all the gobbly gook of sending me to search for things under various tabs at Dell's website. Also, if you have problems with an "unknown device" listing as I did, that UTB 410 blue tooth hardware has no drivers for Windows 7 so I had to use Vista drivers for this device. Hope this helps. 

• Proposed as answer by LogOnFixIt Saturday, October 1, 2016 1:25 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 4:49 PM
  • Nobody insisted it was a Microsoft issue. ..
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:56 PM
  • Finally, Some one gave the correct and helpful answer. Thank you JM Repairs for sticking to the subject, your solution worked like a charm and I've been search for days

It was sad to hear the previous 10 time wasting sarcastic exchanges. Find a job you like 

Saturday, October 1, 2016 1:25 PM