After rename computer name on server and in AD are different RRS feed

• Question

• For a DC replacement I set up a 2012 R2 with a name I'll call TEMP.

I renamed and demoted the old 2003 DC, then reused it's name I'll call NEW on my 2012 R2 server.

I now have a server named NEW, and everything in production works.

But the computer account in users and computers still says TEMP and all references in AD are TEMP (after looking at dcdiag)

I changed all DNS records manually.

The server manager tells me I need to promote NEW, which fails with an error (translated) promotion completed but not published as a domain controller.

I've also tried to demote using roles and functionalites (without using the force because I'm unsure about metadata cleanup, as when I launched the tool it found only one server which I am guessing is the other 2003 currently holding all roles until I figure this out), the demote fails with an interface unknown error.

On top of all this, netlogon will not start.

I for some stupid reason tried deleting the computer account (named TEMP), but I have restored it, but an hour later I still have a downward pointing error on the computer icon.

I tried using the netdom tool (after the fact) but had no luck.

Anyway to save this without completely rebuilding?

Sunday, October 5, 2014 12:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, you renamed the Domain Controller, right?

Renaming DC is a critical operation, did you followed all steps from this article below?

Rename a domain controller

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782761(v=WS.10).aspx

If not, I assume that you still have at least one healthy DC, please perform metadata cleanup of the renamed DC on the healthy DC.

If there is no healthy DC left, and restore doesn’t work, then you may need a rebuild.

More information for you:

Rename a domain controller

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782761(v=WS.10).aspx

Clean Up Server Metadata

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Amy

• Proposed as answer by Calin Liviu Monday, October 6, 2014 7:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:12 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

Amy is right, but to me it looks like you have not even renamed the new server from TEMP->NEW then promote it. It's not very clear what you have and haven't performed?

Regards,

Calin

Monday, October 6, 2014 7:38 AM
  • Amy, I did not use the netdom tool as I didn't know about it until too late, next time I will (if I rename!)

Calin, something got messed up during the naming, the server thought it's name was NEW but AD still thought it's name was TEMP. Most likely because a) I didn't use netdom b) I did things to fast, I should have gave it sometime to replicate before freaking out, c) NEW was the former name of the old server that I had just renamed prior to redoing this (see b.)

Since everything was messed up, and I did have another working DC, I forcefully demoted the new server and did the metadata cleanup, waited an hour, added it back to the domain, waited several hours, repromoted it. I did all that yesterday and this morning things look good :)

Thank you for your responses though! I hope this helps someone out in the future.

Monday, October 6, 2014 8:01 AM