none
Microsoft Project Standard 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I am saving my Microsoft Project 2010 schedule as project which makes it an MPP file. When I attempt to reopen it, it opens in Microsoft Office (MPP file)-Not Microsoft Project (MPX file). I attempted to change the associate a file type setting yet I am unable to choose Microsoft project as an option. 
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Tom,

Right click on your MPP file, select "open with" then navigate to

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINPROJ.EXE

to select MS Project.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:17 PM
  • That is the issue. When I try to do that...I do not see an option for Microsoft Project Standard 2010. But I did download Project. I can ope it on my desktop but when I save it....it saves under the MPP file (Microsoft Office).
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:11 PM
  • Hi Tom,

This is absolutely normal that it is saved as a MPP file. MPP extension is the Microsoft Project files extension.

MPX is just a text-based file format used by Microsoft Project. MPX files are coded in ASCII format. MPX files are used for transferring project data between different versions of Project. MPX files can also be opened by some project-planning programs, such as Primavera Project Planner.

Thus your project files will have the MPP extension, to open with MS Project.

Hope it clarifies.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:14 PM
  • I still can not see Project as an option to open this file when I right click and choose the "Open With" option. I can not open with Microsoft Project. Is there a way to ensure that Microsoft Project is in the list of the "How do you want to open this file"? Did I download the software incorrectly? 

I understand what you are saying to me, but I still can not open the file. 

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:38 PM
  • This suggests .mpp extension is not associated with Project. I suspect therefore that Project failed to install properly or the installation has been corrupted somehow.

Try using the Control panel to repair the project install.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:58 PM