none
folder sharing setting of operating system RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all, 

How can we check folder sharing setting included security and permission setting which included everyone  in local network ? Thanks a lot.

Friday, June 14, 2019 2:12 PM

All replies

• First of all, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings. In the Home or Work profile, make sure you have Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing and Public Folder Sharing all set to ‘On’ and Password Protected Sharing to ‘Off’.

To share a Windows 7 folder, right-click it, click Properties > Sharing Tab > Advanced Sharing > Share this folder > Apply, OK > Close. You only need to share the highest level folder, e.g. not every subfolder.

As you don’t have Password Protected Sharing turned on, you have to change the security permissions on your folder(s) to allow Everyone access. Right-click the shared folder, click Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add and type ‘Everyone’ (not the quotes) into the box and OK. Tick the boxes next to the permissions you want to allow (e.g. Read or Write [not recommended], etc.) then Apply > OK, etc. You may see some screens coming up with message 'An error occurred while applying ……..'. This is not unusual and can be ignored by clicking Continue.

Friday, June 14, 2019 5:03 PM
  • Dear BurrWalnut, 

Thanks for your kindly reply. I would like to find software or tool which can quickly scan folder permission and securty setting which included everybody, for example as listed as below. I have about 2000 computers in the network.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 1:26 PM
  • I thought you wanted to simply share files/folders between a few computers not 2000 of them. I don’t know of any Windows tools or third-party software that would achieve what you want.

Saturday, June 15, 2019 5:39 PM