Impossibile search GAL contact without admin permission (right click on app SFB 2016 run as admin) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,
    I have my skype for business basic 2016 application that regularly downloads the GAL with company contacts. When I try to make a contact with the GAL, I am left with the message that I can not find an exact match and only the few contacts saved in my outlook book come out. When I start the application with admin permissions, both the LAG and the address contacts come out. Similarly if I start outlook 2016 (home and business package 2016) as admin I can see the status of contacts otherwise if I start skype and outlook without admin permissions I do not see anyone's status. I suppose it's still related to the failure to search for the GAL in skype for business. Thanks in advance to all those who will support me.
    Monday, December 24, 2018 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Just confirming if all users in your corporate have such issue or specific user?

If it affects all users, please try to verify that connectivity to the Address Book web service is available.

To do this, please follow these steps:

1. In the notification area on the right side of the taskbar, locate the Skype for Business icon, hold down the Ctrl key, right-click the Skype for Business icon, and then click Configuration Information.
    2. Copy the ABS External Server URL.
    3. Start Internet Explorer, and then paste the URL into the address bar.
    4. The message that you receive from Internet Explorer indicates whether the URL can be accessed from the computer.
    5. If you can't access the URL, this indicates there's something blocking communication to or from the URL, such as a firewall or proxy.
    6. Please also check the EWS Information to see if the status is OK in Configuration Information

If it only affects specific user, please make sure you are using the latest version of SFB and Outlook client. Also please try to log on from the normal user’s PC to see if the issue still persists just to exclude the account issue.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Calvin-Liu Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Prof87 Tuesday, December 25, 2018 1:30 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Prof87 Tuesday, December 25, 2018 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:31 AM
  • Hi Liu,
    thanks for your interesting response.
    I am with a company PC with an account associated with a domain. This account is set as admin so it seems strange that I should use the run as admin option. However I tried to run it with a different account but added as a local account on the PC and I do not have the same problem. I do not have another domain account to use. Can you give me a support on how to do? Are these permissions to be set? Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Thursday, December 27, 2018 12:05 AM
  • Hi Liu,
    thanks for your interesting response.
    I am with a company PC with an account associated with a domain. This account is set as admin so it seems strange that I should use the run as admin option. However I tried to run it with a different account but added as a local account on the PC and I do not have the same problem. I do not have another domain account to use. Can you give me a support on how to do? Are these permissions to be set? Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Is there some news? I need help ;)

Thanks a lot

King regards

Friday, December 28, 2018 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

Does it affect all the users in your company? I mean if the other coworker whose account is set as admin in their domain joint company PC had the same issue.

If only specific user like you had this issue, I would suggest you try using the SFB client included in Office 2016 just to exclude the issue is caused by basic client.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, December 31, 2018 8:27 AM
  • Hi Liu,

Only my domain account is affected by this issue. I have office 2016 home and business installed by click to run and so i have the possibilities to install only basic version. I can't install other version different from 2016. I try to install the versione 2015 instead and i have the same issue. It is not possibile to understand the reason.

Thanks

King regards,

Monday, December 31, 2018 2:18 PM
  • Hi,

Well, have you tried to sign in your account on other normal user's PC? Does the issue persist?

If it still persists on other PC, please try to contact your IT admin to re-enable your SFB account from server side if possible. 

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Thursday, January 3, 2019 10:02 AM
  • Hi Lu,

the issue persist only with my domain user. I can not honestly understand why. For example, on the PC of a colleague of mine always linked to the same domain I can use it correctly. If I access from my PC for example with hidden admin I can see all the contacts correctly. It only happens with my domain account. I'm trying to see even if there are indications in the log but I do not get to head :(

King regards

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

Well, l'd like to have a summary for the issue.

It only happens to the admin account on your own PC, but if a local account works well on it.

And your account has no problem when logging in with other coworker's PC in your organization. And their accounts work well even though their accounts are also configured as Admin on their PC. Shortly, no matter logging in with admin account or local account on their PC, no issue occurs.

If what I understand is right, it seems that the problem is about your own PC and please try the following if possible:

1. Please make sure the Outlook and SFB version are the same with other normal users'.

2. If the version is the same, please try repairing your Office, find here to get more details regarding the Office repairing.

3. Please try to perform a clean boot to disable all non-Microsoft services for testing. You could refer to the link here.

Please feel free to correct me if I missed anything.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:02 AM
  • Thanks Lu for the support. I decided to create a new windows profile and now sfb works vey well. Thanks a lot

Greatings

Saturday, January 19, 2019 1:49 PM