KB4480963 (security monthly rollup) uninstall error 2147549183 catastrophic failure RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all ,

when I would like to uninstall KB4480963 I received this error "0x8000fff 2147549183 catastrophic failure" . Do you have any ideas ?

For you information when I would like install any security monthly rollup I receive this error "

Server 2012 R2 Std .

I try applied this tasks below but nothing result :

1. net stop wuauserv 
    2. net stop cryptsvc
    3. REN %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak 
    4. REN %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
    5. net start wuauserv
    6. net start cryptsvc
    7. SFC /Scannow
    8. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    9. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    10. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    11. DISM /online /remove-package:"C:\Temp\Updates\kb....\kb...-x64.cab"
    12. DISM /online /add-package /packagepath:"C:\Temp\Updates\kb....\KB...-x64.cab"
    13. Script https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/reset-Windows-update-agent-d824badc
    14. https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-WindowsUpdateps1-e0c5eb78

Thanks in advance .

• Edited by Tan's Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:54 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 7:44 AM

All replies

• Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:11 PM
  • Hi Tan,

Catastrophic Failure is caused by missing system files or broken system registry structures. This is a critical sign of an unstable system that is typically caused by improper maintenance of the computer. So it is difficult to directly identify the cause of the problem.

Are there any attempts to perform a CLEAN BOOT of Windows outside of the troubleshooting steps you describe? Then perform the uninstallation that you need to perform.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 1:32 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm current situation.
    If the above suggestion are helpful to you, please be kind enough to "mark it as an answer" for helping more people.

Regards,
    Udara
    Sunday, October 20, 2019 11:29 AM
  • Dear ,

no I still have a problem when I would like to uninstall  KB4520005 I received this error "0x8000fff 2147549183 catastrophic failure" . I think I must do uninstall KB 4480963 and Install a last kb .

When I try install directly kb KB4520005 I have this probleme  .

With the action belows we have anothing probleme the result is corect:

SFC /SCANNOW

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Thanks for your help

Monday, October 21, 2019 10:13 AM
  • Hi Tan,

Although I saw that you have performed some operations, I still recommend that you consider the steps mentioned in this article to perform a Windows Update components reset: "Windows Update - additional resources".

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:12 AM
  • Dear ,

thanks for your reply but unfortunately we have the same problems when I execute script in this technet gallery

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-WindowsUpdateps1-e0c5eb78

Regards,

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:49 AM
  • Hi Tan,

I am very sorry for your question. I don't have any better suggestions for you yet. We can summarize the current situation so that other experts can analyze it faster:

• Issue Symptom
      Uninstalling monthly cumulative update failed with associated error code 0x8000fff.
      Updates involved: KB4480963 (January 8, 2019 - Monthly Rollup) / KB4520005 (October 8, 2019 - Monthly Rollup)

• Possible Cause
      Missing system files or broken system registry structures.

• Troubleshooting Steps so far
      - Reset the SoftwareDistribution directory
      - SFC command system check
      - DISM command system repair
      - Reset Windows Update components

• Next Step
      Reinstall operating system

I will continue to research on this.
    And you can also consider waiting for suggestions from other experts in the forum.

Regards,
    Yic

Thursday, October 24, 2019 6:20 AM