Windows dialogs are not easily read with a screen reader. RRS feed

• Question

• I use JAWS to assist me with reading screens.  A lot of the UI has text which is not easily read because it isn't a conventional dialogue.

A good example of this would be the Windows Update section.  The dialog displays a fair amount of information and the user can only do one of two things to read the text (as far as I can tell).

1.  They can just read links and buttons using tab to select each item (and the tab order doesn't seem particularly logical).
    2.  They have to send the entire screen text to the JAWS virtual buffer (Control + Insert + W) and then step through it in text.

This provides a lot of extraneous information like the search box and layout information.

Does any other blind user out there have good tricks to make the UI more readable with JAWS?

Microsoft - if you are listening - Windows XP is infinitely better for JAWS users.  Some kind of dialog theme function where the user could go to "old" style windows UI would really help.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 6:09 PM

Answers

• Cerbdawg,

Currently, Jaws does not support Windows 7. Their current releases only officially support Windows Vista according to their own webpages.
    They do have a newer version coming out this year that will be. Hopefully they will have all of your issues addressed.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 8:17 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Cerbdawg,

Currently, Jaws does not support Windows 7. Their current releases only officially support Windows Vista according to their own webpages.
    They do have a newer version coming out this year that will be. Hopefully they will have all of your issues addressed.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 8:17 PM
    Answerer
  • I agree, they don't support Windows 7.  But this behavior is the same as Windows Vista.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 3:49 AM