Nag ATI driver message, nothing in Device Manager, can't restore RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday I got a blank screen when I tried to boot.  I pulled the plug rebooted and Win 7 64-bit home edition started with this error message: “No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware.” 
    I tried to look in device manager. It was  empty.  I tried opening it several different ways, it would open but there was never anything in it. Plug and Play is listed as “started.”  I ran a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.  No malware found.  Win 7 troubleshooting found nothing.  Ran system maintenance, no changes were necessary. Ran disk cleanup, didn't help. 
    A dozen boots later I keep getting the same ATI message except for one more blank screen where Windows would not boot.  Still nothing in device manager.  Today I tried to do a system restore but it  would not restore.  I got: "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer’s system files and settings were not changed.  Details: The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again. (0x81000101)"  When I tried again I got this message:  System Restore There was an unexpected error: catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF) Please close system restore and try again.” 
    I rebooted and tried again with a different restore date - same messages.
    There have also been some, perhaps, related small problems with media player freezing and the mouse not working very accurately. 
    This is a 3-month old Dell xps  8300.  
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, April 3, 2011 11:14 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 4:50 PM

Answers

• If you get a third party software conflicts, try a Clean Boot.

In addition, please run a System File Check. Follow these:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.  At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Then install the update again to check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:49 AM

All replies

• Sounds like you need to exercise your rights as a consumer and take your computer into Dell for warranty service.  You may have a hardware failure based on your description.  You paid for a warranty in the price of the computer.

See info @ http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/contact-support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by timmytoogood Sunday, April 3, 2011 11:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by timmytoogood Sunday, April 3, 2011 11:21 PM
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 5:23 PM
  • I ran the Dell diagnostic test (f12 at the Dell screen) and it could not find a problem with hardware.  I also opened Dell Help and discovered that it, like device manager, would open but had nothing in it.  I downloaded a new video card driver from the Dell site, upgraded the BIOS, and  the chipset.  This removed the ATI message at startup but I still have nothing in my device manager.  (Or Dell Help.)
    Dell hardware support support sent me to software support, which is not covered under warranty. They tried another video driver (from ATI Radeon 5670 to  AMD 11-3 Vista64_Win7_64_dd.exe.  No help.  Windows Resource Protection reported “no integrity violations” when scannow was run (Windows\system32>sfc /scannow) The tech, however, could not save any registry settings so she believes the registry is not working properly. She suggested a reinstallation or PC restoration which I think means wiping out the C drive and reinstalling everything.   I was not happy with that so they did not charge me.  
      The tech at software said she would investigate the problem further and would call me back tomorrow.  I made a system repair disk and did an image backup shortly after I bought the computer but I would really like to avoid that for several reasons.  Do you still believe this could be a hardware problem?  As far as Dell is concerned it is not.
    p.s. Rick, could not find "Unmark as answer" to signal that I still needed advice. 
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Next time you contact Dell, you tell them that your Windows 7 software IS covered by their warranty!  Also, their contract with Microsoft requires them to support the Windows 7 installed on their hardware.

From the link I posted above:

Computer manufacturers

If Windows was already installed on your computer when you purchased it, your computer manufacturer provides support for Windows.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, April 4, 2011 11:12 AM
  • I will tell them.  Though thinking back on the conversation I remember the tech saying my problem was probably caused by”software conflicts.”  Implying, probably, third party software conflicts. Every computer has third party software on it, so that would be an easy out.  It’s hard to imagine them claiming a problem with Windows Device manager was not a Windows problem.  
    I am also, by the way, having a problem installing the Windows Service pack.  It has failed three times. After the first two I ran the installer troubleshooter which reported it had fixed something but obviously not well enough for the download to work.  The last error message was: E_FAIL(0x80004005).  I’m guessing this is probably all part of the same problem.  
     Should I reinstall Windows? Could this be hardware? Even if Dell accepts this under warranty their next step is “pc restoration.”
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:29 AM
  • If you get a third party software conflicts, try a Clean Boot.

In addition, please run a System File Check. Follow these:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.  At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Then install the update again to check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:52 AM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 8:49 AM