Windows 7 64bit sleeping problem RRS feed

• Question

• I've used Windows 7 64 Bit for almost a month and a few weeks later sleep does not work. When I leave my computer and then it sleeps, and then I turn it back on in about half an hour or so my whole computer freezes. When I click sleep, it sleeps for 5 seconds and wakes up. 

System Specs: 
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f Desktop PC
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40 GHz
    6GB DDR2 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT (256 MB DDR2)
    Realtek ALC 888S

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:56 PM

All replies

• Jason761,

I've been running W7x64 for quite awhile, and it isn't just a problemwith your computer.  The MSFT guys will advise you not to use sleep or hibernate as there is a stability problem with them.   Let's hope they get it fixed soon!  There's still LOTS OF BUGS IN RC

P.S.  I still keep using hibernate and have found a couple work arounds, but I think they are only applicable to my EVGA nForce730i GeForce 9300 mobo.

Micrometeor
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:03 AM
  • This issue can be caused by your hardware or drivers. I suggest that you run the following command in command prompt.

powercfg /energy

Then after waiting for 60 second, open the result file you will view the detail of the error information.

PS: You could find the corresponding devices in Device Manager according to the device IDs. In Device Manager, double-click on a device, click the Details tab. Then choose Hardware Ids in the drop-down menu Property and you can see the device ID.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, August 21, 2009 9:33 AM
  • My drivers are up to date because i check once in a while if there are new updates
    EDIT: What do I so with the device ID?
    EDIT again: it found 22 errors 4 warnings and 15 informational so what do i do?
    • Edited by Jason761 Friday, August 21, 2009 10:12 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Hi Jason,

You can find the specified devices which may cause the sleep issue based on the device ID. Then try to upgrade unload them one by one if it is possible to determine the root cause.

There is another way that can help us to find the root cause. You may manually enter Sleep Mode. Then, if it resumes automatically, please run the following command to find which device resumes the computer.

powercfg /lastwake

If you find the culprit, you may try to prevent it from waking the computer. 

powercfg /devicedisablewake

However, if the system behavior is proper after you manually enter Sleep Mode, the issue may be caused by related settings. Please re-check them. If the settings are correct, I suspect that the issue is caused by the ACPI of our BIOS. I suggest you upgrade BIOS to see if it is helpful. 

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, August 28, 2009 1:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:14 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:05 AM
  • it says Wake History Count - 0
    and
    for the second command it says Invalid Parmeters -- try "/?"for help
    here is my power report
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mmnxgrn2nth
    • Edited by Jason761 Friday, August 28, 2009 2:26 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

From the diagnostic result, we can find that there is a BIOS error. That can be the cause of the issue. Please download the BIOS update from the following website.

IPIBL-LB Motherboard BIOS Update

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

However, this update is for Windows Vista, but not Windows 7. If it does not work, or it cannot be installed, I suggest you run Windows Update to try update the BIOS.

The other possible reason is one of the USB devices. You may disconnect the USB hub and other USB devices, also disable the wireless network adapter. Then check the result. If the issue does not occur, enable the devices one by one to find out the culprit.

After you find the root cause, you may try to upgrade its driver to resolve the issue.

The power related behaviors are recorded in Event Log. Please launch Event Viewer, open System event and try to find kernel-power related events.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:14 AM
  • Hi,
    Arthur I have recently downgrade back to Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and installed all drivers and BIOS two days ago. I have even recently upgrade my power supply to 600W and video card to GeForce 9600GSO 512. So what do I do now?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:49 PM