. Can a Production SCCM sever and Lab SCCM server both access AD for discovering resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All!!

We currently have in production SCCM 2012 SP 1 with plans to upgrade in the next two months to R2 SP2. We also are building out an SCCM 2012 lab environment and want to discover some computers possibly in a test OU in our production environment. My questions are:

1) Is this possible or even a bad idea

2) Since SCCM using the "Systems Management" container created in ADSI will that cause any conflicts with both production and test sccm servers pointed to that container?

Phil Balderos

Thursday, September 24, 2015 3:58 PM

Answers

• 1. yes you can have more than one SCCM in the same Active directory forest. (make sure they dont have the same site code)

2. No it will not because SCCM will only manage the items he need. Since the Site code will be unique they will only manage there own entry. 

The thing you need to  be careful if you are having 2 SCCM in the same forest is to make sure when you install a client you specify the site code so the client know what site/Mp to look for. Because they will look at the boundary to find the site (if they dont share the same boundary not a issue)

Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

You also need to be careful with boundary group's and not use them for Site Assignment, at least not for the lab environment. That is the only thing that is considered overlapping and could cause a conflict when a client is installed and do a automatic site assignment.
    I would use it in the production environment and not in the lab and as a Frederick wrote install the client for a specific site by using the SMSSITECODE= variable in the labb environment.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Friday, September 25, 2015 4:35 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:13 PM

All replies

• 1. yes you can have more than one SCCM in the same Active directory forest. (make sure they dont have the same site code)

2. No it will not because SCCM will only manage the items he need. Since the Site code will be unique they will only manage there own entry. 

The thing you need to  be careful if you are having 2 SCCM in the same forest is to make sure when you install a client you specify the site code so the client know what site/Mp to look for. Because they will look at the boundary to find the site (if they dont share the same boundary not a issue)

Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:00 PM
  • Hi,

You also need to be careful with boundary group's and not use them for Site Assignment, at least not for the lab environment. That is the only thing that is considered overlapping and could cause a conflict when a client is installed and do a automatic site assignment.
    I would use it in the production environment and not in the lab and as a Frederick wrote install the client for a specific site by using the SMSSITECODE= variable in the labb environment.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Friday, September 25, 2015 4:35 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 4:13 PM