Windows experience index problems RRS feed

• Question

• I cant find this anywhere else,

I have done and upgrade install to Windows 7 Beta, and I cannot get the Windows Experence Index to gie me a figure for performance.

The computer crashes halfway thorough (I think during graphics card checks) and i get the blue screen before the memory dumps and then it reboots...

I am running a NVIDIA GeForce go 6100 with 256MB dedicated and 271MB shared...

Is there anything I can do to stop this ?

On a plus note v7 appears to be a vast improvement on Vista!!!
    Monday, February 2, 2009 1:22 AM

Answers

• This is due to the card and drivers being XDDM not WDDM, as per the release notes

Systems which use XDDM drivers may completely stop responding in certain scenarios. The computer will not respond to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and you will have to cycle the power to restart the computer, with the attendant risk of loss of unsaved data.

Some activities which have been demonstrated to trigger this issue include, but are not limited to:

• Using Winsat.exe or using the Rate and improve your computer’s performance tool.

• Changing multi-monitor configurations

• DVD or other video playback

To avoid this, do not use XDDM drivers, but find an appropriate WDDM driver instead. If your video chipset does not have a WDDM driver (such as the Intel 915), use a VGA driver or an GPU that supports WDDM drivers.

I believe if you disable Hardware acceleration you should then be able to run the WEI, but it wont be totally accurate because you have disabled hardware acceleration.

Monday, February 2, 2009 11:14 PM

All replies

• Is there a message in your BSOD (like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)?

If you haven't already, do this to stop the automatic reboot after a BSOD:
    1. Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings
    2. Click on the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery"
    3. Under "System failure" make sure that "Automatically restart" is unticked
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:19 AM
  • I have the same problem with the wei score using a 8800gts 324mb. No bsod just seems to restart the graphics card on what I presume is the checking of the card, so I end up with no score at all.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:44 PM
  • jjacksn620athotmail.co.uk said:

I cant find this anywhere else,

I have done and upgrade install to Windows 7 Beta, and I cannot get the Windows Experence Index to gie me a figure for performance.

The computer crashes halfway thorough (I think during graphics card checks) and i get the blue screen before the memory dumps and then it reboots...

I am running a NVIDIA GeForce go 6100 with 256MB dedicated and 271MB shared...

Is there anything I can do to stop this ?

On a plus note v7 appears to be a vast improvement on Vista!!!

If you haven't  run the Windows Update then you should...
    NVIDIA has Issued drivers for Windows 7 by means of Windows Update
    Press Start  and on Search Program and Files
    write "check for updates"
    run the proposed app
    and If there is a driver for your graphics adapter select your graphics card and after Install reboot
    also If Update proposes you to update several hardware components such as chipset etc
    then you're highly encouraged to do so

In case your card Isn't showing on Windows Update
    the best driver for me not causing any problem at all is 181.22.1
    try laptop video2go forum  (google It)

Cheers
    • Proposed as answer by sugardad Monday, February 2, 2009 9:59 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:59 PM
  • This is due to the card and drivers being XDDM not WDDM, as per the release notes

Systems which use XDDM drivers may completely stop responding in certain scenarios. The computer will not respond to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and you will have to cycle the power to restart the computer, with the attendant risk of loss of unsaved data.

Some activities which have been demonstrated to trigger this issue include, but are not limited to:

• Using Winsat.exe or using the Rate and improve your computer’s performance tool.

• Changing multi-monitor configurations

• DVD or other video playback

To avoid this, do not use XDDM drivers, but find an appropriate WDDM driver instead. If your video chipset does not have a WDDM driver (such as the Intel 915), use a VGA driver or an GPU that supports WDDM drivers.

I believe if you disable Hardware acceleration you should then be able to run the WEI, but it wont be totally accurate because you have disabled hardware acceleration.

Monday, February 2, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Having the same problem. Running older hardware ( P4 3.0GHz, Intel 865PE/ICH5,  Geforce 7800(AGP), 2G Ram ). On my first boot into W7 Windows Update downloaded what is labebled a "pre-release WDDM 1.0" driver ( 11.7923). It boots up with AERO and and the "recomemnded" resolution of 1280x1024.

It looks great and seems stable. Until I try to run WEI test which causes a BSOD every time. The BSOD message suggests updating BIOS or disabling cache. There is no newer BIOS available. I tried disabling L1 and L2 cache in BIOS but W7 wont boot at all with this setting.  What cache is the BSOD referring to? I tried the 181.22.1 driver mentioned above, but it causes my GPU to show an error in Device Manager and shows the GPU disabled. ( No AERO and same result trying the WEI test)

Is my hardware simply too old for W7 or does the fact that it initially boots to AERO and 1280x1024 suggest it should be able to run OK?

Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Friday, February 13, 2009 2:22 AM
  • Most likely your system will run Win7 fine.  The reason you're getting a BSOD is likely that the test is making calls to your hardware that doesn't exist.  Such as coding designed to test dx10 functionality, which your card doesn't support.  The 7800 is already considered a legacy product by NVidia.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Your Geforce 7800 is a DX9, shader model 3 card as such WDDM 1.0 compliant, so it should be ready for the job once W7 goes gold.
    In the mean time you'll have to be patient and wait for an upgrade of the current Inbox driver. Also inspect the current scheduled jobs, per default the a WEI job should be scheduled to run once a week, if this the case, remove this one, else your system will BSOD once a week.
    Friday, February 13, 2009 3:44 PM