none
Put Windows 7 on clean hd and use old hd as second drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have Vista32 on my current (custom built) machine (one hd 320GB).  I want to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit, but I have so many applications and not all came with install CD's (i.e. installed them via web etc)  I also don't want to go through hassle of re-installation of those programs.

My Question: Can I simply buy a new clean HD, install Windows 7 64bit on it, then use my existing hard drive as a second hd?  Will Windows 7 be able to "see" the programs and files on my old hd? (perhaps as hd letter D)?

Not looking to dual boot, just want to boot Win7 and access my existing stuff under a new drive letter.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:27 PM

Answers

• Hi RemataKlan,

No, that won't work.

1. Dual boot with Win 7 on second HDD (No apps in Win 7, stay in Vista)

2. In-place upgrade over Vista providing Vista is the 64-bit version (no cross architecture in-place upgrade - 32-bit to 64-bit)

3. Clean install Windows 7 and hassle of reinstallation of applications

Those are the possible scenarios that I can offer. 

• Marked as answer by RemataKlan Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:34 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:59 PM

All replies

• Hi RemataKlan,

No, that won't work.

1. Dual boot with Win 7 on second HDD (No apps in Win 7, stay in Vista)

2. In-place upgrade over Vista providing Vista is the 64-bit version (no cross architecture in-place upgrade - 32-bit to 64-bit)

3. Clean install Windows 7 and hassle of reinstallation of applications

Those are the possible scenarios that I can offer. 

• Marked as answer by RemataKlan Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:34 AM
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:59 PM
  • Thanks for reply Nano Warp, Yeah the more I think about it the more unlikely my original idea would work.  My apps in Vista were added to the Vista Regsitry and class path etc.  Win7 would not be able to run those programs, because they would not be set up in the environment correctly (if anyone disagrees with that last statement, I'd like to hear about it - REALLY!). 

Dammit, I should have went with Vista64 when I built my machine two years ago, then I could do option 2.  I really want to move to 64 bit computing now and increase my RAM to 8 gigs, so I guess it's time to roll up the sleeves and get dirty.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 2:34 AM