none
When trying to add a networked printer i get this error. On windows 7 Profeesional machine.__Connect to Printer.__ A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator.

Question

• I am trying to added a printer on a windows 7 machine. When i add new printer and select from the list i get this error.

Connect to Printer.
    A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator.

I have tried adjusting the Group policy setting and registry as suggested in this article. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=319939&product=winsvr2003

I can manually add the printers via the ip address of the printer, but cannot from selecting them from the available printer list.

Any suggestion to resolve this issue.

Friday, May 21, 2010 12:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you configure the following policies in your default domain policy. After configuring the policies you should run the command: gpupdate /force.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers\

Point and Print Restrictions >> Disable

Prevent addition of printers >> Disable

Prevent deletion of printers >> Disable

Local Computer Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers\

Allow print spooler to accept client connections >> Enable

If the issue persists, you may also refer to the following link to troubleshoot this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888046/en-us

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you configure the following policies in your default domain policy. After configuring the policies you should run the command: gpupdate /force.

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers\

Point and Print Restrictions >> Disable

Prevent addition of printers >> Disable

Prevent deletion of printers >> Disable

Local Computer Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers\

Allow print spooler to accept client connections >> Enable

If the issue persists, you may also refer to the following link to troubleshoot this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888046/en-us

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:34 AM
  • I am currently having the same issues. I have tried to resolve this with the following GPO configurations listed below. Is there anyone still having this? Or an alternative method to correcting?

-I have tried to update these settings, remove and readd the printer, delete and recreate the GPO, I have manually ran the gpupdate /force on the client machines. and all are still getting that policy error

Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:07 PM
  • Did you ever find a resolution to your issue? I'm having the same problem. Even when logged in a administrator I'm not able to install a printer.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 12:39 PM
  • Did you ever find a resolution to your issue? I'm having the same problem. Even when logged in a administrator I'm not able to install a printer.
    Im having the same issue with all computers on my domain they all have windows 10
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 7:45 PM
  • I've also experienced this issue on Windows 10 Enterprise x64 with an RICOH Aficio MP C2050 printer. The group policies had no effect.

The issue turned out to be an unsigned/untrusted printer driver on our terminal server. The problem was described in the Windows Event Viewer under: Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > PrintService > Admin

I wiped my logs, so I don't have a copy of the error any longer, but it contained the SAMBA/Windows Shares location to the driver that it tried to install.

I browsed to the path of the place where it tried to install the driver, copied the .cab file, extracted it onto my local machine and then right-clicked the oemsetup.inf and selected install, after which I had to allow the untrusted installer. After the installer was finished, I was able to add the remote printer again.

I hope this helps...

• Proposed as answer by PadaKwaak Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:12 AM

Same issue here. Initial work around was to uninstall KB3170455 - But since MS now lump all updates together under one cumulative update, it's unknown which update it's now included in.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 11:32 AM
  • I had same problem in windows 10

{ A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator }

your solution worked for me

thank you

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 9:30 AM
  • this worked for me 
    Friday, November 18, 2016 10:41 AM
  • THIS IS WHAT WORKED:

Seems like a MS update killed SMB v1.0 access to the print server. Many printer drivers we had used SMB v1. All I did was download the latest printer driver and update the driver on all printers. Done. 

THANKS TO @PadaKwaak FOR THE HINT. 

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:00 PM