Microsoft Edge browser in RDSH RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have tried implementing RDSH for Edge browser as it is supported in 2016 TP3 according to the post: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2015/08/19/remote-desktop-services-in-windows-server-2016-technical-preview-3.aspx

But there is no how to...

So fully patched 2016 TP3, single server deployment, quickwizzard for RDSH.

There is no easy way to simply publish "Edge Browser" in RDSH. So I have tried publishing Explorer.exe and changing parameters to "microsoft-edge:" which launches the browser when logged on locally.

However when tried launching the app from via RDP (RDWeb) Win8.1U1 all I get is full white screen with: "you’ll need a new app to open this microsoft-edge"

So the questions is how exactly is Edge browser supported? And how exactly are we supposed to configure it?

Thank you very much for any ideas

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To test Edge you need to connect to a full desktop session.  If you unpublish all of the RemoteApps from the QuickSessionCollection and then refresh the RDWeb page you should have an icon for connecting to a desktop.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by TP []MVP Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To test Edge you need to connect to a full desktop session.  If you unpublish all of the RemoteApps from the QuickSessionCollection and then refresh the RDWeb page you should have an icon for connecting to a desktop.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by TP []MVP Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:54 PM
  • Well, thats exactly what I don't want to do. I would like to enable our developers to be able to test Edge but for private (non-internet) websites.

Basically what https://remote.modern.ie/ is doing - just a browser window. Logging into full RDP session is pretty much uncomfortable.

So running Edge in Window mode (not sure how to call it) is really officially unsuported scenario? And if so, how is the Azure guys at https://remote.modern.ie/ doing it?

Thank you

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

I believe Modern.ie is Windows 10 TP publishing IE11 with EdgeHTML as the renderer, which is not the same as Microsoft Edge browser Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app.  Publishing a UWP as a RemoteApp is not supported.

You could try to do something similar [to modern.ie] on Server 2016 TP3 by publishing IE11 and then trying to enable Experimental Web Platform features in about:flags.  I've not tested it on Server 2016 TP3 so I don't know if it will work.

-TP

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:35 PM
  • Thank you for the idea!

Sadly IE11 in 2016 TP3 doesn't have Experimental Web Platform features, so it seems our support for Edge browser will be none until we can virtualize in more comfortable way.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:24 AM
  • Hi,

I try this (full desktop session), but Edge not started. Only show frame Edge window and this close about few seconds ?

Where is problem ? CZE keyboard or CZE locale ?

Thanks,

SnakeAG

• Edited by SnakeAG Sunday, September 13, 2015 4:06 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 4:18 PM
  • Will this be the final solution for publishing Edge as Remoteapp?. Will it be changed in the future releases of W2016?

Thanks

Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:56 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue and I´m trying to figure out how to solve that. We are trying to provide Edge to some users to test our future intranet site and how is it shown in Edge...

Did you find a solution for this?

Thanks for keep it updated.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:58 AM