Showing dimension properties in ProClarity Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

does anybody know, how to show dimension/attribute properties in a ProClarity desktop report ?

I'm looking for the same feature as I can get in Excel 2007 by rightclick and "Show properties in report".

Thanks in advance.

Jan

Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:17 AM

Answers

• Excel is using an MDX feature called DIMENSION PROPERTIES which can be added to a query in order to retrieve the attribute properties associated with the members.  Unfortunately, ProClarity does not support the DIMENSION PROPERTIES statement.  Ben's suggestion is a good alternative though.  When you crossjoin two or more hierarchies from the same dimension, Analysis Services is extremely effecient in automatically eliminating invalid (empty) combinations.  They call this capability the "Auto Exists" feature.  You should not have to tweak the basic query ProClarity generates. 

However, if the query includes one or more hierarchies from other dimensions then you will see some inefficiencies in the ProClarity query.  When dealing with multiple hierarchies from different dimensions, SSAS 2005 added a new function called NonEmpty that can filter out the empty combinations quickly.  However, ProClarity 6.3 does not take advantage of this function.  The best it can do is use the NonEmptyCrossJoin function (NECJ), which is available in the Options dialog from the File|Options menu.  However, Microsoft recommends you should avoid using the NECJ function due to some unintended results in certain cases. 

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:13 PM

All replies

• I don't believe you're going to get the exact functionality in ProClarity.  However, have you tried adding the attribute hierarchies that makeup the properties to the view in ProClarity?  That may get you close to what you're looking for.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 11:59 PM
  • Thanks, yes, I've tried this, but revising the MDX statement ProClarity is generating I've seen it is genereting a cross join of the attributes used in the report. This will probably be not so efficient than using dimension properties.

Jan
    Friday, September 5, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Excel is using an MDX feature called DIMENSION PROPERTIES which can be added to a query in order to retrieve the attribute properties associated with the members.  Unfortunately, ProClarity does not support the DIMENSION PROPERTIES statement.  Ben's suggestion is a good alternative though.  When you crossjoin two or more hierarchies from the same dimension, Analysis Services is extremely effecient in automatically eliminating invalid (empty) combinations.  They call this capability the "Auto Exists" feature.  You should not have to tweak the basic query ProClarity generates. 

However, if the query includes one or more hierarchies from other dimensions then you will see some inefficiencies in the ProClarity query.  When dealing with multiple hierarchies from different dimensions, SSAS 2005 added a new function called NonEmpty that can filter out the empty combinations quickly.  However, ProClarity 6.3 does not take advantage of this function.  The best it can do is use the NonEmptyCrossJoin function (NECJ), which is available in the Options dialog from the File|Options menu.  However, Microsoft recommends you should avoid using the NECJ function due to some unintended results in certain cases. 

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Just as a follow-up on this, with the release of 6.3.2216 ProClarity will use the NonEmpty function, but only when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services 2008 cubes.

Monday, September 15, 2008 6:36 PM