none
Exchange Server 2007 Errors after Primary DC Change RRS feed

  • Question

  • Had an incident this weekend that took our primary DC down, so we wound up promoting a backup DC to primary. Went through and did everything through the seize process - everything truly AD/DNS related seems OK at this point.

    Ping, NSLookup, all are working as expected, DHCP services pushed out new DNS priorties, etc. Logins, authentications, all working OK, even have been able to join/rename machines OK, and am seeing any changes to AD/DNS/GPO replicate correctly to other servers.

    My issue at this point is now a few final errors getting Exchange 2007 back up and running. The 2 main issues (I have a feeling they are related):

    • In Event Viewer on the Exchange server, am seeing EventID: 9074 from Source: MSExchangeSA, Details: The Directory Service Referral interface failed to service a client request. RFRI is returning the error code:[0x3f0].
    • Within Exchange Management Console, I select Server Configuration -> Properties -> System Settings tab, I am only seeing the backup DC listed under "DC's being used by Exchange", and the new PDC/Global Catalog is not listed under the "Global catalog servers being used by Exchange" section.

    I'll hop back over to the new PDC, go into AD Sites and Settings, open the NTDS properties on the new PDC, and it does have the Global Configuration server check mark in place.

    Any ideas on what I check to help either/both of these? The DNS settings are updated to the new primary DNS on both the Exchange NIC and within the "Internal DNS Lookup" in the same properties window as above. Have done several /flushdns /registerdns to help push things through. All other actions I do on that box seems OK, it's only Exchange that appears to be having an issue.

    Thanks in advance!

    Monday, August 8, 2016 4:51 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    Yes, it takes time to sync the configurations. Please keep monitoring if any other issues.

    For the error event, please refer to the following KB:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/895858

    Best regards,

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support


    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 8:23 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Not sure what (if anything) I changed - it may have just been taking a really long time to update everything, but it looks like the proper domain controllers are now showing up in the Exchange Server Console (right-click -> Properties on the server), and the Windows event log is confirming that it found the new primary DC/Global Catalog. Will continue to watch and see if it looks like communication issues with AD continue.
    Monday, August 8, 2016 6:54 PM
  • Hi,

    Yes, it takes time to sync the configurations. Please keep monitoring if any other issues.

    For the error event, please refer to the following KB:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/895858

    Best regards,

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support


    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 8:23 AM
    Moderator