Central Admin fails with 404 - Can't connect to Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello and Happy New Year!

I've been working on setting up a duplicate MOSS 2007 server for testing purposes.  I have a VMWare clone of our DC and MOSS Server and a new VM of a SQL 2008 R2 server.  The production uses a SQL 2005 server.

The purpose is to test the production env out against a 2008 R2 server so we can migrate the sql server to the new version.

So far, I have ran the config wizard to disconnect from farm, then re-ran to reconnect to the existing database but on a new server. At this point, I can browse to http://sharepoint/ and see my content.  Central Admin, however, fails with a 404 error.

I deleted my IIS CA site and App Pool and re-ran the config to no avail.

Debug details:

WFE event viewer reports: "SQL Database 'SharePoint_Config' on SQL Server instance 'sqlserver' not found. Cannot open database "SharePoint_Config" requested by the login. The login failed."

SQLBox event viewer reports: "Login failed for user 'domain\mossadmin'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database."

Debug Notes:

The production sql server is actually named "sqlserver". (pls don't comment, 1 of the reasons I want to migrate!). I have an alias on the WFE pointing sqlserver to the new sql instance, and I can run the SP Config wizard using either "sqlserver" or "sqlbox\spdata" and it will work either way, finding the config db, etc.

I have given the mossadmin account pretty much every permission I can on the sqlbox, dbowner, securityadmin, etc as well as the domain admin and network service accounts.

The wizard is run as domain\mossadmin and finds/connects/configures ok, but browsing to central admin it fails.

Any advice/help/suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 3:47 PM

Answers

• Update!

Problem solved.

So apparently when the DB Admin sent me the backup files the SharePoint_AdminContent_<guid> database was shortned to SS_AC....

I restored to the original name with guid, re-ran the Config Wizard (without disconnecting from farm) and Presto!

• Marked as answer by agrothe Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:42 PM
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:42 PM