Profile pictures not updating in Discussions or People and Groups lists RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Sorry to add yet another question! There seems to be a lot on the net about this issue but I haven't found a definitive answer.

Users in my SharePoint 2007 site can update their profile pictures without any issues and any changes are replicated to their MySite pages. However if they view a Discussion or the People and Groups list then they either see the default cartoon head or sometime the very first photo they uploaded. This never seems to update.

I understand from reading posts that this can be down to the Profile Synchronisation job not running between Web Applications but in my case, all the jobs look to be running ok and secondly even if I view the list in the same site (i.e. still within MySite) the picture is not updated.

help - please :-)

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:37 PM MySite = Social Computing forum. (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:35 PM

All replies

• I've done some more digging on this one and I think the cause is the Profile Synchronisation and Quick Profile Sychronisation are only running on one server in the SP Farm.

I've tried forcing the synchronisation by running the following:

1) Stsadm –o sync –listolddatabases 0

2) Stsadm –o sync –deleteolddatabases 0

3) Stsadm –o sync –synctiming m:1

4) Stsadm –o sync –sweeptiming m:1

5) Stsadm –o sync –excludewebapps “”

I've also tried clearing the OWSTimer Cache by doing the following:

1) Stop the OWSTimer service on all SharePoint servers in the farm
    2) On the Index server navigate to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\GUID
    and delete all the XML files
    3) NOTE: ONLY THE XML FILES, NOT THE .INI FILE
    4) Open the cache.ini with Notepad and reset the number to 1. Save and close the file.
    5) Start the OWSTIMER service on the Index server and wait for XML files to begin to reappear in the directory.
    6) Repeat on all servers in the Farm

but the Profile Synchronisation and Quick Profile Sychronisation do not update on all servers in the farm

Any bright ideas where I go next?

Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you to turn on verbose mode of logging when the profile synchronization jobs run and then check the logs to find out more deatils.

Also when you are viewing user profiles in SSP are you able to see the images?

I hope this will help.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Friday, June 24, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Hi,

Just to resurrect this thread - I've still not managed to resolve this issue.

Basically the Profile Synchronization and Quick Profile Synchronization timer jobs are not running on the WFE servers. They run correctly on the Index server but not on the WFEs.

As per my earlier updates trying to clear the cache or use the stsadm commands do not make a blind bit of difference to the issue.

I've tried raising the logging levels but there's nothing logged in the ULS logs on the WFE servers and nothing of any note logged in the event logs.

I've tried viewing the user profiles in the SSP and I can take the URL to the profile picture and view it on the server.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:37 PM
  • HI,

In your problematic places where images are not getting displayed do a right click on the image and select view image info.

In a pop up window that opens observe the URL what it showing.

It should show the image url as you can observe in SSP.

Follow these steps and do let me know your observation.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Saturday, July 23, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

No, this is what I'm trying to explain.

If I look at the URL of the picture in the profile, it is the current URL as per the profile in Central Admin. If I look at the URL of the picture as displayed in the list (i.e. Discussions or People & Groups) then it's an old URL, i.e. refering to a picture which could be deleted or just an old picture.

Thanks

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

If you check the all people page of your site are you able to see the images?

If not then try removing the user from site collection and then add him again.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Sunday, July 31, 2011 5:32 AM